CHAPTER 16 Piece of Cake

"You have to add the chocolate compound in the whipping cream next."

I look across the table to where Dong Jun is watching the cake-making video on the tablet. Frowning, I motion him to come forward. He leans in, looking down at the batter I'm making, and opens his mouth in anticipation of tasting it.

As if!

I flick his forehead making a loud 'clack'. He shouts and leans back rubbing his red turning forehead. "We are making fresh fruit cake! Why in the world in a fresh fruit cake would you add chocolate in whipped cream? Read the instructions carefully!" I order him pointing my fingers first at my eyes then turning them to point at the tablet, then pointing them at him in a threatening 'I'm watching you' gesture.

I hear a soft snicker from the kitchen as Joon Jae walks out towards the table in his home, holding the washed fruits I had brought from the market. Yoon's birthday is in three hours and here we are trying to figure out how to make the damn cake.

Well, I am. Dong Jun is just watching the recipe videos, pretending to help and Joon Jae... for Joon Jae, washing the fruits was the only task related to cooking I could trust him with. Knowing he's no help to me, Joon Jae wisely places the fruits on the table and a brand-new-looking chef's knife beside it. Then silently, he goes back to the living room to watch whatever with my brother.

And that brother of mine doesn't even pretend to help. Rolling my eyes at his crossed leg form sitting on the floor, I thank the little brain of his for keeping Jeon busy and away from the kitchen.

"Emmy-ah, should I cut the fruits?" Dong Jun asks after tiring himself out by watching the videos. I nod and point out the cutting board and a wooden bowl to him.

No matter how bad he is at cooking, he can't mess up cutting the fruits for the cake. "Don't cut the strawberries." I remind him. Pouring the batter in the microwave carton, I scrape the last bits. Working silently with only a few voices from TV, I watch with a smile as Dong Jun purses his lips to cut a kiwi into perfectly round slices.

"Oppa," I say making him look at me with furrowed brows, "how's the preparation for the album going?"

He answers while transferring the fruits neatly to the bowl. "It's ok. This time we are including more ballads, but there are some strong dance songs in the mix." Then suddenly looking up at me he says, "Talking to you about this now, feels a little different."

I place the carton in the microwave and set the timer while asking, "Different? How so?"

Placing the knife in the kitchen sink, he comes to stand beside me, folding his hands in front of him. "Before, when we used to talk, it felt like talking to a friend or a family member who knows only the pros of this life. Now," he pauses and scratches his head. "now it feels like I'm talking to a company employee who's been my friend for a long time, who understands the difficulties we face in this occupation."

I laugh, "That's because I am that employee now. And your friend."

He shakes his head then shouts, "Hyung! Doesn't it feel weird around Mi Rae these days?"

I kick him in the knee for shouting in my ear as Joon Jae appears with Hyun by his side. Joon Jae looks at me and in a serious tone and straight face he says, "Of course it's different. Before, it only felt like they only had a similar personality. Now they even look like Jessie and James!" Then he and Dong Jun burst out laughing.

I growl and glare at the culprit. "It's all because of you!" I remind again of the laughing Hyun. Then turning to Joon Jae, I angrily say, "And, we don't look like Team Rocket! Jessie had RED hair and James had BLUE. We have..." inhaling loudly and glaring at Hyun again I repeat, "PINK hair!"