chapter 25: missing you

"Booking you a flight to Florida"

"No you're not."

"Yeah, I am. When are you free?" I continued, navigating to the United Airlines site at the speed of light. "Clay!" she laughed, still skeptical of the sudden idea.

"I need to see you." I said bluntly. I don't care if I sounded desperate, it was true. I needed to see her, to hold her, to be next to her, and I was sick of hiding it.

Y/N's POV
I tried to suppress my smile, but failed and ended up sheepishly admiring Dream through the facetime call. After his sudden comment he glanced down from his monitor and met my smile as well.

"I probably can't for a little bit, I have..uh...something in a couple of days," I hesitated, and covered it with a laugh, "Besides it literally been 2 days since you left, you can't possibly miss me that much."

"But I do," he whined. I hoped he had ignored the other comment, but then he asked, "What do you have in a couple of days?" his voice seeping with curiosity.

"Just some family thing." I lied. It was my birthday soon, except I hate my birthday. It was only associated with countless bad memories and disappointments from my childhood.

Karl hated that I hated it. Every year, he tried to make up for the lack of happy birthdays, and as much as I loved him for it, when that dreadful date rolls around, I just want curl up in a ball and hide from the world.

"Ok, but you have to come soon," he dropped the subject, sensing a boundary.

"You're so clingy," I laughed.

"No I'm not," he replied.

"Yes you are."

"No, I'm not!"

I laughed at his childishness and leaned down to my phone's microphone and whispered, "Simp."

"Stop," he said quickly as a small blush crept onto his cheeks to which I laughed.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My eyes fluttered open, confused as to how I got here. I was laying in bed, still wearing the same clothes as last night, my phone laying across my chest.

I groaned, stuffing my face into a pillow, realizing I still had my airpods in. But, as I went to take them out, a soft voice rang through my ears, "Good morning."

My head darted up from the pillow, "Clay?" I questioned alarmed. "Yeah," he laughed, "You fell asleep on call."

"Oh," I yawned with a smile, "What were we talking about again?" I asked afterwards, still trying to fully wake up.

"Uh," Clay hesitated, "Nothing really."

His tone was slightly suspicious, and as I slowly recollected the events from last night and his plans to fly me out I was confused as to why he didn't mention them.

Dream's POV
Did I lie? No. Well, not really. I just withheld part of the truth. Ok yeah, I did lie. But, it was necessary.

—Flashback to last night
"Y/N?" I looked up from my monitor that still displayed flight information to see the reason the facetime call had suddenly gone quiet.

I smiled as I saw her face squished into a pillow, eyes completely shut— fast asleep. But after realizing she was asleep, I felt farther away from her than ever. Lonely, almost.

To be honest, I was slightly hurt at her lack of enthusiasm for coming to Florida, and I wondered if we were moving too fast for her. I had pushed it aside at the time, but the family thing seemed like a lame excuse.