chapter 6: tension

"So, we should probably talk," he started.

I gulped. There was no way I was having this conversation with him. I only hoped Karl and everyone would hurry back so I wouldn't have to deal with these growing tensions between Dream and I for long. But, as of right now, I was alone with him, and there was no way of avoiding it.

"About what?" I tried my best to sound bland, emotionless. Dream scoffed, "You know what,". Amused by his sharp reaction, I smiled innocently and began teasing him, "Hm I'm not sure Clay please enlighten me,".

He took a step closer to me, and I took a step back. He smirked and continued advancing towards me until I was backed up against the wall of the hallway. His eyes scanned over my face, looking down at me with a smug smile. My heart was racing.

He lifted his hand up to my face, brushing a stray strand of hair behind my ear. His voice dropped to a sly whisper, "What's wrong Y/N? Cat got your tongue?"

"Shut up" I scoffed under my breath, avoiding eye contact. His hand lingered on my face and moved under my chin, lifting it with a finger, and forcing my eyes to meet his.

He tilted his head, "What is it?" he asked, "You can say it; No one's around." I held my breath, refusing to submit to his taunting urges. "Admit it—admit that I make you nervous," he finally said. My breath hitched, and he smiled as if he were proud of the way he affected me. "Knew it,".

I pushed him away from me playfully, "God I hate you," I groaned, "Why are you like this?".

"Because maybe," he paused, "I like seeing you flustered."

—Dream's POV———

I watched her annoyed face flicker to a moment of surprise and then switch back. "God you are so easy," I chuckled, deescalating the situation, which I realized had become extremely intense.

She rolled her eyes and responded, "I'll get you back eventually". "Unlikely," I smiled, "Now watch Criminal Minds with me!" She groaned as I pulled her with me towards the living room, "You've literally already seen every episode!" "But you haven't!" I grinned.

As much as I teased her, I really enjoyed Y/N's company. She was one of the few people that I felt completely and utterly at peace with; with her life was simple. Yet another reason why I couldn't let myself fall for her. Because if there's one thing I know about relationships it's that they are the opposite of simple.

We flopped down on the couch, and I watched as she scooted over, creating a larger gap in between us. Weird. But I decided to ignore it, worried I had already pushed her buttons too much today, and I turned on a random episode of my favorite TV show.

We sat in silence watching the show. Occasionally I glanced over at her, but her eyes were fixated solely on the screen although it didn't really seem as if she were paying attention to it. I frowned. Did I take it too far?

—Y/N's POV———

Oh god this is so uncomfortable. Dream and I have known each other for months now and our conversations have always been natural, but now there was an unfamiliar tension between us. Or is this just me overthinking?

I stared blankly at the television screen, hoping Karl and everyone would get back soon. Every once in a while I could feel his eyes on me. Why had our dynamic changed so much in just two days of meeting?

My heart did a somersault when I heard the beautiful sound of the doorbell. I jumped up quickly, trying not to seem too eager. I opened the door and was greeted by the petty arguing of Sapnap and Alex. I was overcome with relief as I felt the tension leave the house, directly out the front door.

"Ayo! Got the food!" Karl smiled at us, and I moved aside, allowing them to come into the house. But just as quickly as the tension left, it returned as I turned to walk to the kitchen and crashed into Dream's chest.

I gasped from the impact, but he didn't even flinch and simply looked down at me with a smirk, "Going somewhere?"

"Yep! Now please would you kindly move aside so I can eat my food." I grinned, not falling for his tricks again. He rolled his eyes and side stepped, watching me as I walked past him.

After passing him, walking close behind Karl and George who were carrying the bags of food, I overheard Sapnap whisper something to Dream as he walked into the house behind us. I wasn't able to make out what he said though.

The rest of the day went on normally, we played more video games, got dinner delivered, and watched some anime as per Sapnap's wishes.

Our sleep schedules were all pretty much fucked, but we had crashed around 3 am. George, Quackity, and I all went to our own bedrooms to sleep, leaving Karl, Sapnap, and Dream who had refused to get up from the couch.

I had fallen asleep almost instantly after hitting my pillow, but at around 5 am I woke up suddenly and had trouble going back to sleep. To pass time I had scrolled through Twitter, Instagram, and Tiktok, switching apps every once in a while.

But I was bored out of my mind, still drowsy, and my throat was itching from thirst.

I quickly slid on an oversized hoodie that I found laying on my bedroom floor and opened the door quietly, sneaking into the kitchen for a glass of water. I passed the living room and chuckled as I saw Karl face down and spread across the sofa, and Sapnap snoring next to him.

However, I didn't notice the person missing from the couch until I entered the kitchen. I was met face to face with a shirtless man leaning against the kitchen counter, smiling smugly at me.

word count: 1020