chapter 17: speedrunning

We waited around on the couch for what felt like hours— it was barely one though— for the power to come back on. We couldn't really use our phones much because of the bad data connection from the storm, so we spent the time playing board games in the dark.

Dream had found some camping lamps in his garage though, and they were just enough to light up the Monopoly board.

"HA! PAY UP GEORGE!" I yelled as George's playing piece landed on my street— It just happened to have 3 houses on it.

"WHAT! NO!" he shouted back, grabbing the street card out of my hand to see the amount he had to pay, "There's no way this costs $1,000"

Clay laughed with me, "It's Boardwalk George—literally the most expensive one"

He threw his remaining money at me angrily, "Well, I'm bankrupt," And just as he stood up to resign from the game, the ceiling lights flickered on.

"YES!" Sapnap clapped, jumping up from the living room floor as well, "We've got power baby!"

"WOOO LET'S GO PLAY MINECRAFT!" Karl joined in laughing and leapt up to run to Dream's office. Funny how the first thing they think of is minecraft.

George and I followed him, jumping onto the air mattresses that covered the floor while Karl sat in Dream's gaming chair and booted up the PC.

"What are you guys planning to do with just one set up?" Dream laughed from behind us— he was leaning on the door frame.

"I'm going to speedrun!" Karl laughed, spinning in the large chair, "Maybe it's really just your PC and you're actually not good at the game!"

"HA! True!" I chimed in, glancing at Clay while clutching one of the pillows on the air mattress. He laughed back at me without breaking eye contact.

"I can teach you guys how to speedrun," Dream suggested. "Oh my god YES!" Karl agreed immediately.

George, on the other hand, only shrugged, while getting more comfortable on the mattress next to me, "I'm already a god at speed running; Don't need it."

"I wanna learn too!" I complained as Dream pulled up a chair next to Karl. "You can get your lesson after Karl," he laughed.

"Yeah Y/N, wait your turn," Karl chuckled, rolling his eyes sarcastically, and creating a new minecraft world.

I scooted to the end of the air mattress to see the computer screen better. But, I didn't have a chair, so I was forced to sit next to Dream on the floor, unable to actually see the computer screen.

"Ok Karl get a tree first, and then look for a village in that plains biome," Dream started advising Karl.

Karl's focus was on the game, George was definitely already falling asleep, Alex and Sapnap were still in the living room, and Dream's eyes were settled on me.

"I found a village!" Karl exclaimed. "Great, now loot it and kill the iron golem," Clay responded without even looking. He was too busy staring at me, not wiping that stupid smirk off his face.

His intimidating eyes forced my glance away, and I tried to turn my head in another direction, but a hand stopped me.

Clay's firm grasp on my face turned me back to him, completely disregarding the distracted Karl next to us. 'Hi' He mouthed with an admiring expression, causing me to smile against his hand.