chapter 76 ~ 𝒊 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒅𝒆𝒂𝒅

CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE, WEAPONS, MENTIONS OF A HANDGUN, & ANGST

_

     Rachel heaved her suitcases from out of the backseat of her car, hauling them up the sidewalk and to her front door. With an irritated huff, she unlocked her door and scooted the bags across the hardwood floor, stopping at the edge of her kitchen countertop and dropping down onto the ground. Her back ached from sitting in her car for hours in traffic as she drove home from Busan. Her legs tingled as the feeling slowly began to seep back into them, the brunette running her red acrylic nails up and down her smooth skin.

     Reaching for her phone, Rachel scanned over the missed calls from Sejin that had recently been blowing up her notifications. A streak of anxiety shot through her stomach; what if Jungkook had told him what she'd done? After a brief moment's thought, a grin plastered itself on her painted face. He wouldn't dare. Her threats were enough to keep him silent and if Jungkook wanted his family to remain untouched that's exactly what'd he do. Rachel glanced up at the ceiling as she noted the placement of her weapons, claiming to use them for her own protection when in reality all she wanted to do was force them against Yumin's trembling body. The pink taser, resting snuggly in the back of her nightstand drawer. Three pocket knives, each full metal with intricate designs along the handle. And her favorite, shoved into the bottom of one of her suitcases; Yura's black handgun, gifted to her two days prior when she had stopped by to visit for the last time before leaving town.

     Yura knew Rachel's plan to seek revenge. He himself had conspired to get his fiancé back but had run into a delay when she'd moved with the others to Seoul. But, with Rachel's inside knowledge working at BigHit, she'd given the brunet Yumin's new address and welcomed the unprepared visit her rival would receive. Maybe once she was out of the way, she could have Jungkook all for herself. Or maybe even one of his hyungs. 

     A sick smirk played at Rachel's lips as she sent a voicemail to Sejin telling him of her arrival back home before pushing herself back to her feet. She lugged one of her bags upstairs with her, the one with the handgun, before collapsing on her bed. The clock ticked by at almost 11 PM, but no matter how badly Rachel wanted to pass out under her comfy blankets, she kicked off her shoes, changed clothes, and began unpacking her suitcase from her vacation.

_

     I stared blankly up at the ceiling with my brow furrowed in disgust, thinking about Rachel and her alone. It was almost 11:30 PM and with Jungkook sound asleep beside me, I knew I should've already been long unconscious, but thoughts of the older brunette kept me up as my skin crawled with unease and bile rose in the back of my throat.

     Seokjin's words rose from my muddled thoughts like a spark of light in the dark. I remembered him pulling me away from Jungkook and into the office downstairs, shutting the door and locking it behind us. My skin had prickled with gooseflesh as I stared deeply into the oldest's gaze, hard as steel, as he took a step towards me. His hand had reached out and gently placed itself upon my shoulder, trailing lower and lower until he could clasp my hand in his.

     "Thank you for being there for Jungkook, Yumin. I...I really appreciate it."

     I'd stayed silent, unsure of how to respond, as Seokjin pressed a chaste kiss against my forehead before exiting the office. Had he not expected me to try and protect Jungkook after everything he'd gone through in such a short span of time? Of course not. After seeing the way I reacted to the maknae's presence during my two weeks of isolation, I didn't expect anyone to think I was still on his side. But, I'd long forgiven the brunet and now there was nothing that was going to stop me from keeping him safe.