{Josie meets Iron Man}

June 17 2008

At the gala, a lot goes down, to say the least. Tony is approached by a S.H.I.E.L.D agent, then he almost kisses Pepper, then he bumps into a one night stand from a few months ago, called Christine Everhart, then he finds out Stark Industries are selling weapons to the Ten Rings, then he finds out Obadiah is the one selling weapons illegally and locked him out of Stark Industries, and that's what you missed on Glee! Kidding. Seriously though, so much drama!

He arrives home, stressed and panicked, as he walks into the house, he can hear the TV downstairs. He walks into the workshop and finds Josie asleep on the sofa, with the TV still playing. She must have fallen asleep watching it, he gently picks her up, but before he can carry her upstairs, something said on the TV catches his attention.

"The fifteen-mile hike to the outskirts of Gulmira can only be described as a descent into hell, into a modern-day Heart of Darkness. Simple farmers and herders from peaceful villages have been driven from their homes, displaced from their lands by warlords, emboldened by a newfound power. Villagers have been forced to take shelter in whatever crude dwellings they can find in the ruins of other villages, or here, in the remnants of an old Soviet smelting plant. Recent violence has been attributed to a group of foreign fighters, referred to by locals as the Ten Rings. As you can see, these men are heavily armed and on a mission. A mission that could prove fatal to anyone who stands in their way. With no political will or international pressure, there's very little hope for these refugees.", a reporter says. Tony sets Josie down on the sofa, then sets his eyes on the newly painted parts of his suit. He grabs the gauntlet and puts it on his hand. " Around me, a woman begging for news on her husband, who was kidnapped by insurgents, either forced to join their militia or die. Desperate refugees clutch yellowed photographs, holding them up to anyone who will stop.", he raises his hand and blasts the light with his flight stabilizers. It comes crashing down with a loud clatter, which wakes Josie up, but she doesn't say anything, just watches intently. Tony looks at the damage to the light he's just caused and takes a few steps forwards. "A child's simple question, 'Where are my mother and father?'. There's very little hope for these refugees, who can only wonder who, if anyone, will help.", as she says this, Tony looks in the glass window and sees his reflection. Great. Now he's getting ideas. He raises his arm and shoots the window, then the next, then the next, shattering the glass in all three of them.

He turns around and looks at Josie, who's sat up straight now, "Did I wake you up?", he asks, "Sorry."

"I don't think anyone could sleep through that.", she laughs, "Dad, I can almost read your mind right now. Don't do it."

"Jellybean, it's my company, it's my irresponsibility that caused this, it's my fault. I have to put this right.", he says.

"Where did this moral compass come from?", she asks, he rolls his eyes at her, "I'm not changing your mind on this, am I?"

"No, sweetheart. And before you ask, you're not coming."

"Oh, I wasn't going to ask.", she signals to the TV, which is still showing clips of explosions and wrecked buildings, "Yeah, I don't really want to come."

"Fair enough.", he chuckles.

"You know, you have a lot of bad ideas, but this just might top them all."

"I don't know, I'm protecting people."

"Yeah, but you're not protecting me from being an orphan."

"That's taking things a bit far, don't you think?", he raises his eyebrows at her.

"No.", she shakes her head adamantly, "I don't think it is."

"I'll be fine, Jellybean. Don't you want dear old Dad to be a superhero?", he asks.

She sighs, "That does sound cool."

"Exactly, look for the positives.", he tells her, whilst he steps onto a platform and the suit starts to assemble on him.

"Wow.", she gawps, once the suit is fully assembled, "Now that, is awesome."

"I know, right?"

She jumps up and hugs him, "Good luck, I love you."

"I love you too, Jellybean.", he says, then flies off into the night.