Chapter Twenty Six: Her Greatest Fear

Sitting up straight, Clara cracked her back

Sitting up straight, Clara cracked her back. Sitting in a downward position for an amount of time was making her feel the need to stretch her body. Kai's heavy backpack she carried wasn't helping either.

The afternoon sun shined down through the trees. Clara squinted her eyes when she accidentally looked up to see the sun staring back at her.

"Shouldn't have done that." She muttered under her breath as she glanced down, her eyes adjusting as she glanced away from the ball of light in the sky.

Kai ran beside Cage, and Clara watched as he suddenly slowed. His ears moved up, and his eyes darted around the forest ahead.

"Stop." Kai said, and Clara realized he was speaking to Cage and her.

Cage stopped and waited for Kai to make a move.

"What is it?" Clara asked quietly.

"I don't know." Clara could hear Kai's confused tone of voice.

A loud breathy snarl engulfed the silence around the four travelers. Cage turned around quickly and tried to pinpoint where the snarl had come from.

When Cage turned back around, Clara watched in horror as a large dark brown animal pounced on Orion. It's teeth tore into the flesh on his right shoulder and upper chest, lifting him up in the air and sending him flying backwards.

When the beast let Orion go, it glanced up and stood on two legs. It's mouth opened wide as it released it's anger in a growl.

The beasts' head was large, and it's small ears were mangled. It's eyes glowed a dark red, and it's teeth were sharp to the point that it didn't seem natural. A vampiric bear.

"I thought bears were your greatest fear? It doesn't seem like you're that afraid." Cage had a split second to possibly say something insightful or helpful. Instead, he decided to laugh.

Clara jumped down from Cage's back and dropped Kai's backpack on the ground. She unsheathed the dagger at her side and courageously looked the large beast in the eye. It glanced down at her and the red glowing blade in her hand.

"This isn't funny Cage." Clara began to panic as the bear stalked forward towards her, twigs and sticks snapping beneath it's feet.

Cage jumped on the bear, his canines tearing into some of the bears mangled flesh and fur. His action gave Clara enough time to run behind the beast and fall to her knees beside Orion, who laid unconscious on the ground.

"Orion, Orion!" Clara gently shook Orion and held his face in her hands. The wound on his chest was starting to heal, but he had lost too much blood to stay conscious. His blue eyes opened and flashed a dark red.

"You look beautiful when your hair is a mess." Orion said to Clara as his eyes closed once more.

"That's very nice of you to say, but you have to get up Orion! Please." Clara begged, the thought of him dying in her arms made her distraught. No, no, he was going to be okay.