Chapter 3; The Race.

Loralie's P.O.V.-

At first I didn't believe him, and I laughed once before shaking my head at him. "Don't be ridiculous..vampires aren't real." I said. "Okay, so you aren't human, but you are saying Vampires aren't real?" He did that weird thing where his eyebrows both raise and his eyes get wide. "Tell me what sense that makes." 

I crossed my arms, "Prove it." I said. "I'm sorry, repeat that please?" He said, taken aback. "Anybody else would have been screaming and running by now. But no, you want me to prove it." He said crossing his arms and looking down at me. He stayed quiet, obviously thinking it over. I raised an eyebrow, "Well, I don't know if you've learned by now or not, but I'm not just anybody else. So, yes, I want you to prove it. Then, I'll tell you what I am." I offered. He bit his bottom lip, but slowly nodded. "Fine, but don't say I didn't warn you, kid." He said. "What does that me-" Once again, I didn't get to finish my sentence. The next thing I knew, I was pinned against a tree and he was inches from my face. Veins grew darker under his eyes, but I wasn't focused on those. I was focused on the sharp pearly-whites he had grown in a matter of,..oh I don't know, a milisecond.? 

Damon's P.O.V.-

I did warn her, but that didn't stop her from getting scared. I had to find out what she was, why? I didn't know. but I had to. So, yes I pinned her against a tree. I hissed at her, instantly baring my fangs, which seemed to catch her attention. She stared at them, eyes wide. I recognized the look on her face, pure fear. The same look all my victims had before..well you know. My urge for blood usually intensified by this look, I usually grew more hungry, but for some reason, The only thing I felt, was regret. I slowly loosened my grip on her and backed away a few steps, letting my fangs disappear. She slowly took a step away from the tree, her eyes never moving from me. I crossed my arms, getting bored with the look she had. "Your turn, tell me what you are." I reminded her of our deal. She stared at me for a few more seconds, "Oh right, Sorry." She finally snapped out of it, and I sighed in relief. I wanted to know, now. 

"Well, I'm rare.." I let my shoulders slump loosely, "That doesn't help. Tell me." I urged on. "Fine, fine..I'm a..sha-iter." she mumbled the last part, so I only caught a few letters out of it. "what?" I asked curiously. "I'm a.." 

"A what?" I asked, keeping my mouth almost closed. I was getting annoyed, and she knew it. "A shape shifter." She said nervously. "A..shape, shifter?" I asked crossing my arms. "So, you can shift into any form..?" I added. "No,..just animals." She answered blankly. I sighed, she was still scared from my little show. "But we all have a spirit animal,..which depends on your birthday..mine is in December, so my spirit animal is the wolf." She began, I kicked a rock a few feet, as though I wasn't listening, but of course I was. "And in times of strong emotions, our body instantly changes into our spirit form, we have no control over it." I looked up at her. "So, are there any signs,..when you get emotional, before you change?" 

"Well, it depends on your animal. Mine is a wolf, so I would growl, and my eyes would change color,..they change to a yellow." I gave her a careless look. "I don't care about the small stuff, just the important stuff." 

Loralie's P.O.V.-

"Sorry, to disappoint you." I replied coldly, gaining a bit of my courage back. "So that's it? You're just a shape shifter?" I shot him an annoyed glare. "Well, sorry I'm not enough." I snapped, instantly looking down afterwards. He looked me up and down, as though debating something. "I need to get home.." I broke the silence. He looked back at me, and nodded one time. "Okay, let's go." He said. I nodded slowly, and looked down. 

Damon's P.O.V.-

She looked down, As though she was bored. I know I'm not boring, It's a proven fact, that I am the complete opposite of boring. So, It couldn't be that. Suddenly, she looked up at me, her eyes glittering with daring attitude. I shot her an odd look, "Race ya." She said and took off. She was out of my sight within a second. I stared off in the direction she went, letting a small smile creep over me. I shook my head, and took off after her. It didn't take long to catch up, but as soon as I reached her, she sped up, leaving me behind. By the time I reached her house, she was on the porch leaning against the column holding the small porch roof up. She had a cocky smile, and I couldn't help but laugh. "Better luck next time." She said with a smirk, before turning and going inside. I watched her leave, the smile never leaving my face. I waited till the door closed completely behind her, before turning and heading towards home. She was right, she wasn't just anybody, she was different. I wasn't sure what about her interested me, I was sure of two things though. The first one was that I never wanted to see that look of fear on her face again, let alone be the cause of it, and two; I was beginning to feel something towards Loralie Gilbert.