chapter ten.

❞All I see is a pretty girl

❞All I see is a pretty girl.❞

✯✯✯

SHE WAS BACK AT THE MANOR, a little tired and a little roughed up. The cave was lit up, and Jason was tending to her wounds. Batman had commended her on handling the situation and Alex had been slightly confused but she had recovered. Remembering that he wasn't only Batman, the authoritarian gruff leader. But also Bruce Wayne, who adopted 2 orphans because he thought he could help them.

She was sitting on one of the stretchers tucked in one corner of the Batcave. Dick, Jason, and Bruce were upstairs, relaxing, investigating the names on Gotham's most wanted list, which had been conveniently left on the roof of the Gotham Police Headquarters building. 

She'd told them that she could dress her own wounds, and she wasn't bleeding or anything, it was just a simple array of bruises. Nothing more and nothing less. 

She pressed the icepack against her abdomen, immediately hissing in pain, "Oh mother —"

She pressed her hand against her mouth, muffling the curses. She removed the icepack from her abdomen, taking a deep breath. She closed her eyes tightly, moving again to push the icepack onto herself again. 

"Are you going to cry?"

Her eyes snapped open, and Jason was standing in front of her, "Dude! How the hell can you be so quiet?"

"You say that as if you're not as well," Jason snorted, "You, me, and Dick were all trained by Bruce... me and Dick more than you, so we're infinitely better."

She glared, "Gee, thanks."

"Do you need some help?"

She shook her head, "I'm perfectly capable of inflicting pain on myself, I don't need someone else to do that."

"You really need therapy."

"So do you Jaybird," She groaned, he approached her, taking the icepack out of her hands, "So does Dickie, and especially Bruce."

"That I can't argue with."

She leaned back, resting on her elbows, as Jason looked down at her abdomen, "Stop ogling at me, you pervert."

"I need to assess the affected area."

"Damn," She hummed, "You're a doctor?"

He nodded, grinning, "Of course, I'm smart."

"You're probably more well-versed in the twists and turns of Pride and Prejudice," Alex hummed, "Than the twists and turns of the human bo— oh you little shit!"

Jason looked at her, unamused, "Oops, the icepack just slipped from my hand."

She continued to curse, the pain subsided a minute later. Jason pressed the icepack a little harder onto her abdomen, Alex hissed but she didn't berate him. He'd been doing the Robin gig for a year longer than her, she trusted his so-called 'doctoring' abilities.

The cool feeling of the ice disappeared, and she looked up at him. He grabbed the cream perched beside her, "I'll put a bandage over the bruises, since you won't like the cream getting on your clothes, right?"

She nodded, noiselessly. He applied the cream on the bruises on her abdomen, his fingers gentle. She winced a little here and there, and then he wrapped the bruises up. She couldn't stop watching Jason, and Jason couldn't stop his heart from beating right in his ears. 

"There we go."

She finally straightened up, her bruises weren't acting up as much as they had been before. She was fine, so she looked up at Jason, waiting to see if there was another step in Jason's tending to wounds 101 class. 

"Want to hug?" Jason asked, "I heard that hugs are supposed to make wounds heal faster."

She laughed at that, and he frowned, pouting at her, "I'm not joking!"

She snickered, wiping the tears from her eyes, "Hugs make wounds better?"

"I read an article that said that," Jason said, glaring at her. He opened his arms, "So do you want a hug?"

She watched him for a second, her stomach churned again, and she finally broke a smile, "Let's test if this article was well-researched."

She collapsed into his arms, her head resting on his collarbone and his head resting on top of hers. His hand cradled the back of her head. And they stayed like that, "Thanks."

"What's with the sudden thanks?" Jason's voice rumbled, making her vibrate along with each drop in his voice, "I'm pretty sure you were cursing me five seconds ago for hurting you while patching you up."

She chuckled into his collarbone, "Just take the thanks will you?"

"It's nice to see you all calm and not ADHD," Jason muttered, and again she vibrated along with his voice, "At times like this I don't get reminded of Wally when I look at you."

She pulled away from him, just to glare at him, "Are you seriously pulling a Dick Grayson?"

He pulled her back into the hug, "Pulling a Dick Grayson?"

"Are you falling in love with Wally West?"

"Fucking disgusting," Jason commented and she laughed once again into his collarbone, "And to think I was going to compliment you!"

She smiled, tilting her head so she could look up at Jason without pulling away from him, "How were you going to compliment me? It's very rare to see you getting cheesy."

"I'm not going to say it."

"C'mon~~" She hummed, poking his side. He giggled, GIGGLED, and slapped her hand away, fixing her with a glare just a second later, "Jay, tell me the compliment!"

He sighed, and she set her head on his collarbone again, "I was going to say... that when you're all quiet and calm like this... I don't see that redheaded pain in the ass —"

"And we're circling back to the compliment..."

He sighed again, "All I see is a pretty girl."

She didn't know how to respond to that, and Jason was thankful she didn't. Because if she had, he wouldn't have known how to converse with her. So they stayed like that, with their hearts racing to the same beat.