Chapter 4: Secret

The next couple of days flew by without notice. Midoriya requested Friday off so he could get into Shizuoka early to spend the entire day with his mom. He had packed the night before to ensure he didn't forget anything. He was prone to forgetting basic necessities. He ruffled through his bag one last time before leaving for the train station. He had his toiletries, sleep wear and extra clothing, phone charger, headphones, and most importantly his outfit for Todoroki's birthday.

He ended up having to go to the thrift shop a couple blocks over to look for a jean jacket. To his surprise he actually found one that fit. He ripped the sleeves off, added spikes to both the shoulders and ironed on American rock band patches he had found at a hobby craft store. He had also taken some rough sandpaper to several spots on the jacket to make it look worn.

So all together, he had the 80's rock scene on point. The slightly ripped black skinny jeans, a black Rolling Stones t-shirt (which wasn't his favorite band but it would have to do), black boots and the newly acquired jean jacket. He also went as far as purchasing some eye liner from the store. He thought he'd might as well go all out if he's making a surprise return.

He quickly changed into civilian clothing and went to pack the traditional Kyoto candies from down the street. On the way into the kitchen he grabbed his heavy sweatshirt from the couch and pulled it on. Although it doesn't get necessarily cold in Kyoto in early January, it was still around 50° F during the day, early morning and late night it got chilly. Shizuoka and Kyoto rarely got snow during the winter and when they did, it wouldn't stick around for very long. So he wasn't too concerned about packing warmer clothing.

Placing his duffle bag on the countertop he gently placed the candies on top of his clothing to ensure their safe arrival for the party. He pulled his phone from his pocket to check the time. 5:30am. Zipping his bag up, he pulled the long strap over his shoulder, grabbed his keys and left his apartment. He locked the door behind him.

It was about a half hour walk to the train station, Midoriya didn't mind the walk, he put his headphones in and put some music on and enjoyed the not too busy streets. He arrived at the station with enough time to buy breakfast from the 7-11 on the corner before having to catch his train. After buying his ticket he made his way through the gates and found the correct train headed to Shizuoka Prefecture.

5 minutes before the train arrived he stood from the bench and stood in line with the other passengers waiting to board. As he boarded he pulled his bag in front of him out of courtesy for the other passengers, so he wouldn't accidentally hit someone with his bag on his way by to his seat. Although there wasn't assigned seating in the train there was economy versus first class train cars. He choose the economy class, he didn't see the point of buying first class if the destination was the same.

He sat down in a seat next to the window so he could watch the view. He loved watching the towns go by and day dreaming about what life was like in the town for those people. The train departed shortly after he sat down, he grabbed the onigiri from the plastic bag and ate his breakfast. Once again, Midoriya pulled his headphones from the duffle bag and put music on to help pass the time.

Some time had passed, he was lost in his music and watching the outside world pass by. His mindless thoughts turned into old memories, some were good, some were bad. He couldn't help but think about finding that All Might plushie that he found after all these years. He had forgotten he had it and was surprised to find it in the stuff he had packed from home.

He knew Bakugou would be there at the party, and was wondering if they'd get into a fight. He was always trying to fight Midoriya in an even match back in high school, maybe he'd just chill for the night? That seemed like a long stretch though. Finding that plushie though, brought a secret back to the light. It seemed like it wanted to be found before he left for the party, what are the odds of that? It forced Midoriya to face his secret and it's going to make it hard to see Bakugou again. Maybe it's about time to come clean, or maybe he should just keep it locked down. He wouldn't want to ruin Todoroki's birthday party.

After the fight with Shigaraki, Midoriya was in a coma with no signs of regaining consciousness. Several weeks had passed before he woke up. When he started to wake up, he was grumbling under his breath and started to lift his hand to his face due to the uncomfortable breathing tube in his nose. The slight movements and sounds alerted Bakugou, who was resting his head on his arms on the bedside table, he dashed out the door and got the attention of a doctor.

The doctor made Bakugou wait outside while the team looked over Midoriya and took chart data. Meanwhile Bakugou texted the entire class that he had woken up and to all get over to the hospital to visit. Once they arrived they all immediately started crying and gathering around the bed, they were all so happy to see Midoriya awake. Since weeks had passed since the fight and the doctors didn't know why he wasn't waking up, they were all so scared that the worst would happen. They couldn't bear the thought of losing their friend, someone who brought out the best in everyone. Someone who could instantly brighten up any room.

Midoriya of course, once he saw everyone crying, apologized profusely. The doctor was standing at the foot of his bed, asking the still extremely groggy Midoriya some questions that were common for someone just waking up from a coma. He was able to answer most of them. But then he was asked to go around the room and say the names of his friends, to test his memory. All was fine until he got to Bakugou, he called him by his name and then the doctor said that he was under the impression that they were childhood friends and that he had a nickname for Bakugou.

Midoriya looked at the doctor confused and said he'd only met Bakugou at the beginning of freshman year at UA High and that he had no friends growing up. Everyone looked shocked and all turned their heads to look at Bakugou, he looked shattered and Midoriya saw it too. He knew he had lost some memories.

The doctor then asked everyone to leave so he could talk to Midoriya alone now that there was a possibility that he had lost parts of his memories. They memories of Bakugou from the start of freshman year were nothing but bad ones, if they were friends from childhood, why would he constantly be trying to pick fights? It didn't seem like a healthy friendship to him.

Midoriya was required to stay in the hospital for an additional two weeks after regaining consciousness for continued monitoring of his health. By then a full month had passed by, he was missing school and his friends. He was released from the hospital and was allowed to resume classes.

Midoriya's memories were still a little foggy but bits and pieces were starting to come back to him. Bakugou hadn't picked a fight with him since his release and was actually being nice to him, which he thought was odd based on the memories he could recall. It was out of character for Bakugou, but decided not to question it.

Another month had passed and all his memories had returned. It made sense to him now why Bakugou was being so nice. Honestly he was enjoying it, him and his childhood friend were getting along for the first time ever. He made the decision not to tell his classmates, including Bakugou, that his memories had returned. He was selfishly enjoying this side of Bakugou, that he had never seen before. This was something he'd have to take to his grave. He knew he'd never be forgiven for holding onto this lie for so many years.

The train coming to a stop jolted Midoriya back to reality. He quickly gathered his belongings and exited the train.