Chapter 49

"I imagine not," I say about to clear our plates, but Cat grabs a hold of hers.

"I'm not finished, yet. With the food or the conversation. Please, sit down."

I really don't want to do this right now. I want to straighten things out between Cat and I. Emotionally though I wish I could push this off, but seeing no way out I sit back down.

"Cat, I've only recently found out about Tina from the letter my father wrote. He told me how vital Tina has been in taking care of my Mom and even him through his bout with brain cancer."

"Tina knew we are legally related, but she didn't know how to hit me with this news, with everything else I already had going on."

"Doesn't it stand to reason, that the affection William witnessed between Tina and I is taken out of context? Similarly, to those photos, Liam's father had taken of me," I propose.

"Yes, but William is a really good judge of character. He's seldom wrong. I think it would be unwise to ignore his advice."

"Oh, really! Then Liam does want you and I should be concerned."

"No! That's not what I'm saying," Cat is quick to respond.

"So, William's only an excellent judge of character when he's talking about someone interested in me, then? That's convenient." I stand up, taking my plate and William's, and walk into the kitchen. I'm ill-equipped to have this conversation. If I keep talking, I know I'll end up saying something I'll regret, but I don't get a reprieve as Cat follows me into the kitchen.

"Alex. All I'm saying is that I'd seen it too." 

"Seen what?" I want to know.

"The way Tina looks at you. How guilty she appeared when I caught her with her arms around you in your brother's bedroom. You must face the fact that although she's now your sister, she's not blood-related. There is nothing to stop her from developing feelings for you."

"Nothing except, she has someone else she's in love with! Someone, she's engaged to," I say, my tone rising because I'm angry. I'm tired of paying for mistakes I don't cause. I didn't ask for any of this. Having a sister, losing my father, the issues with my mother. All of this is being foisted upon me, and it's not fair that I have to deal with the fallout.

"There was no ring on her finger. And when you offered to call him, she didn't want you to."

My eyes nearly bug out of my head, "Cat, do you hear yourself? What are you saying? That Tina invented a fiancé? To what? Put you at ease?"

"It's possible," Cat says.

"No, what it is, is completely insane. I mean, this is seriously reaching, and I thought you more secure in us than this," I say pushing past her to get out of the kitchen. Damn, why is this apartment so small!

"I don't doubt you. As William said, I trust you. Completely."

"Right?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You trusted me SO much that the first time that trust was tested, you walked."

"That's not what I was doing and you know it?"

"Do I?!"

"Don't you?!"

"I don't, because it looked to me, that the only reason you stopped was that I stopped you. But then again, I guess with me no longer an issue that would allow you and Liam to get back together and become one messed up, happy family."