Chapter 31

I pull out my phone as I head back inside and it rings only once and I hear. "Hey."

"Hi. So your phone is finally operational. That's got to feel good."

"Yeah, I forget how dependent I am on that stupid thing until something happens to it. All my appointments, my contacts, my entire life seems to shut down. I got your message. I'm sorry I wasn't able to call you back sooner," Cat tells me.

"That's okay. Hey, would you like to get together? I've got time before I have to get back home," I offer.

She's quiet for a moment before asking, "What about your Personal Assistant, Trina?"

"Tina?" I cringe that I just corrected Cat. I don't really care what she calls Tina, it's not important. Why did I have to correct her?

"Yeah, her."

"I sent her home. I hoped maybe you could come to William's and I can make you some pasta and we can chat, face to face."

Long pause. "What time?"

"What's good for you?"

"I can be there in about 30 minutes?" she tells me.

"Sounds perfect. I'll see you then."

"Okay."

"Cat?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

"I love you, too. 30 minutes," she repeats and I'm happy to hear the smile in her voice when she says it.

"Bye."

"Bye."

I hang up and look at William who is staring at me like I just lost my mind. "What?"

"When have you ever known me to cook? The only pot I own is the one you gave me when Cat packed up your stuff and I use that to make tea," he says pointing to it on the stove.

"Shit! Right? Okay, well. I'll order food then."

William hands me a folder with a rainbow kitty on it filled with take-out menus. Within a few minutes, the order is placed and will hopefully be here a few minutes after Cat arrives.

"You good? Where are you going to hang out?" I ask William.

"Me? I know a guy."

"Oh, really?" I can't help the sly grin.

"Don't give me that look, Alex. He's just a friend."

"Aren't they all," I tease and he laughs knowing I have a point. William is forever hanging out with "friends" or in his case "friends with benefits." I think he is too scared to open his heart up to someone again, and this is his way of not being alone. Still, I wish he could find someone to change his mind.

William grins. "Hey don't be a hater because I refuse to be a one and done like you. I have my entire life in front of me."

"Yeah, to what? Sleep around with every guy on and off-campus?" I roll my eyes. It's all empty. I don't know how he can stand it.

"Hey," William announces indignantly, "when you go to a buffet, do you stick to just getting a salad? No! You try a bit of everything. Sometimes I find something I like and sometimes I find something I know I will never try again, but life is too short not to sample all life has to offer."

"Uh-huh." I know better than to argue with him. He's not ready to move on from Aiden. I don't know if he ever will be. I just don't want him to end up alone.