Chapter 47

I call ahead, but we make it just in time. When I enter the funeral home, they hand me the urn that contains my father's ashes. It's odd to think that such an imposing figure could fit in such a small space. Cat questions silently, the bemused expression I must be wearing.

"They are all set at the cemetery for you. Fr. Douglas will meet you there for a brief prayer service. Will there be anyone else attending?" the undertaker asks.

"No, just Cat and I."

"Okay then, you're all set."

I carry the marble urn back to the car and place it on the floor to buckle my seat belt. It feels disrespectful to ride with it tucked between my feet, so I pick it up again. I grip it firmly on my lap just in case Cat makes any sudden stops that would require her to slam on her breaks.

The thought gives me pause. I give the lid a tug and am happy to discover they seal it. Good, the last thing I want to do is vacuum my father up from between the seats. The bizarre thought made me want to laugh, but I hold back, knowing I wouldn't want to explain the outburst.

We reach Ever Spring Cemetery and I get all turned around, even though the undertaker has given me a map of where the interment is to happen. I call the cemetery office and they give me the plot number and directions so we are back on course.

A blue tent is over the spot where the priest is waiting patiently for us. Cat parks on the side of the road so other cars can pass and I walk with her holding onto my arm. Cat's wearing heels and it's been raining, so she sinks in the dirt with every step. Luckily though, she hasn't overturned her ankle.

The priest motions for where I should set the urn. He starts with a reading from the bible. Cat stands close to my side and holds my hand. I smile when I look down and see her engagement ring. It reminds me I'm still wearing my father's wedding band. Somehow this induces a daydream about Cat and I standing side by side to take our marriage vows, which was so much more palatable than paying attention to the burial ceremony.

I hear Cat say, "Amen." And I repeat it. A man, I had not noticed before, stands alongside the tent with a shovel in his hand. He must be responsible for the small deep hole they will place the urn into.

The headstone is already in position. I read my father's name etched in granite, birth and death dates listed. Then note he's already had added my mother's name. Her date of birth is written. Her date of death, to be determined. I almost wished I still had Aiden's ashes, so they could all be together, but thinking of how he felt about them, I guess my decision to have him placed in a columbarium, in his own little niche was best.

Cat invites Fr. Douglas to join us for lunch, but he declines as he has another funeral at noon. I hand him an envelope with a donation for his parish, which he gratefully accepts.

So it's all settled then. There is nothing left to do other than to leave this place and let the shovel man do his work, to bury my father once and for all time. I get into the car and I can feel Cat's eyes on me.

"Are you doing, okay?"

I shrug. "I guess. I'm relieved it's over," I tell her, though I know there are many more things I will need to figure out. For example: Will my mother ever return home? If she doesn't, what should I do with the house and everything inside of it? What am I to do with my father's company? I know it's his wish I take it over, but I hardly feel prepared for the responsibility. Yet, I'm about to become a father myself. The business would allow me to continue to provide for Cat and the baby, perhaps even our own children. Our children... the last thought brings a smile to my lips.

"What are you thinking about?" Cat asks, wearing a grin of her own.

"Us. Babies," I say, still smiling.