8- Taking the Steps

Start from the beginning

Megan flushed as I looked over at her. I wasn’t surprised. Lots of people had  thing with him at some point in time. She blushed seeing my gaze. “Well he is really hot. And oh is he good in bed…” she trailed off for a moment before catching herself. Her hand covered her mouth mortified that she’d just said that out loud. “But he was a total ass. No feelings at all. Just a physical thing.”

“Yeah.” I grumbled. If the last part was supposed to make me feel better it wasn’t.

She removed her hand and tried again. “But with you he wasn’t like that. I mean the guy actually settled down with you. That was a big step in his book.” Brittany gave her a look to tell her to shut up. “Look,” Megan continued instead, “the point is that he actually was tolerable when he was around you.”

This wasn’t helping. At all. Just thinking about Kale was hurting. “I don’t want to talk about it.” This is why I avoid having girls as friends.  

“Rein You need to talk to him.” Brittany announced, realizing that Megan wasn’t helping. “If you don’t make up at least let him know what an ass he is. He deserves more then a punch from some random guy.” she added, patting my knee gently.

“Spencer is the one who punched him.” Megan pitched in as she scooted onto the bench besides me. “He’s like his second hand man. That probably hurt more than the punch itself that it came from him.”

“How’d you know that?” I asked looking over at her as she slung her arm around my shoulder. Everyone knew the rundown of what happened, news spread fast, but she was the first person who had known who had struck Kale. Everyone else was only focused on the breakup.

“I was there.” Megan said simply with a shrug, then as if trying to get my mind off of the party she added; “Now come on let’s get you some jeans. No offense but those, not your style hun.”

I chuckled and looked down at the slightly large rumpled pants. “Yeah sounds like a good idea.” They tugged on me and I got up with a little numb smile and followed Megan and Brittany into the store. Getting new clothes would cheer me up a little bit.

The moment we stepped foot in the store Morisa’s eyes landed on me. “There you are!” she said with a big grin as she hooked her arm in mine and dragged me to the cash register. “I’m so sorry about Kale.” She whispered as she set the pile of jeans on the counter the second we were away from everyone.

Why can’t people stop bringing it up?! I nodded. “Yeah.”  I didn’t know what else to say.

“I personally always thought you guys were a weird match. I mean…. He’s just so… well he doesn’t settle down. Like he’s Mr. free lance all over the place.” She nodded at the cashier and handed over her credit card, too lazy to scan it herself.

“Yeah.” I repeated.

“He’s a hottie.” she continued on not noticing my depressed gaze. “I mean like it’s hard to tie down someone like that. You can’t help it that girls want a bit. And well he has plenty to give.” she giggled and looked over at me, finally noticing my tight lips. “Well I mean you should be glad. You were together what… a few months? You satisfied him for longer than most. You should be proud.”