"we'll have to hurry," hazel warned. "if i know octavian, he's searching for us with his auguries. the romans will send a strike force after us. it's a matter of honor."

cherry felt everybody's eyes on her and leo. she looked down, unable to handle the stares for too long.

"guys..." leo spoke shakily, "i don't know what happened. honestly, i—"

annabeth raised her hand. "we've been talking. we agree it couldn't have been you, leo. barbie was right," she shot a glare at percy before continuing,  "that cold feeling you mentioned...i felt it too. it must have been some sort of magic, either octavian or gaea or one of her minions. but until we understand what happened—"

frank grunted. "how can we be sure it won't happen again?"

"i'm fine now," he insisted, though he wished he could be sure. "maybe we should use the buddy system. nobody goes anywhere alone. we can leave piper and coach hedge on board with jason. and barbie... i'm guessing she's not coming around anytime soon?"

"she's stubborn," explained cherry, "i think we all know that. but... maybe it's best to let her cool down a bit. she'd been through a lot these past few months."

"so we should send one team into town to get tar. another team can go after the bronze and the lime." leo said.

"split up?" percy said. "that sounds like a really bad idea."

"it'll be quicker," hazel put in. "besides, there's a reason a quest is usually limited to three demigods, right?"

annabeth raised her eyebrows, as if reappraising hazel's merits. "you're right. the same reason we needed the argo ii...outside camp, nine demigods in one place will attract way too much monstrous attention. the ship is designed to conceal and protect us. we should be safe enough on board; but if we go on expeditions, we shouldn't travel in groups larger than three. no sense alerting more of gaea's minions than we have to."

"i'lll go with percy," annabeth said, sounding like she didn't like the idea, "i don't want him screwing over anybody else's feelings."

"wow," percy added blandly, "feeling the love right now."

"shut your mouth," snapped annabeth, clearly taking barbie's side, "i'm not even the one those words of yours was directed at- but even i felt personally offended by them."

"...well then," cherry said, "since three of us are out of action- we have a perfect split. three and three. so- who else should go with percy and annabeth?"

hazel smiled. "oh, that's easy. frank, you were amazing, turning into a dragon! could you do it again to fly annabeth and percy into town for the tar?"

frank opened his mouth like he wanted to protest. "i...i suppose. but what about you?"

"i'll ride arion with sa—with leo and cherry, here. we'll get the bronze and the lime. we can all meet back here by dark."

"leo," said annabeth, "if we get the supplies, how long to fix the ship?"

"with luck, just a few hours."

"fine," she decided. "we'll meet you back here as soon as possible, but stay safe. we could use some good luck. that doesn't mean we'll get it."

judging by the fact cherry had never ever met another revived demigod who didn't want to kill them- speaking and befriending hazel was very much a once in a lifetime (perhaps two lifetimes for the both of them?) opportunity. although riding arion was perhaps another amazing thing. the horse was insanely fast, running over the surface of the lake and turning its surface into a salty mist. she sat in the middle, behind hazel with leo's arms around her waist so it sort of looked like a very short conga-line on the back of a horse.