home // pieck

The yellow rays of sun warmed my face as they filtered through delicate blinds over my window. I stared at the covered window, feeling no need to open it and look at the gleeful members of the interment zone. They were naïve and stood no chance in making it anywhere with their ideas of happiness and freedom in a place of abuse and oppression. Maybe some were putting on a show for others, but even then there wasn't a reason to hide the cruel, racist truth.

Eldians were considered devils by the oh-so-glorious Marleyans, who in truth weren't much better themselves. Sure, Eldian ancestors committed such atrocities and cruelties, but what did, say, the fourteen year old girl next door do? Why did she deserve to suffer for something that had absolutely nothing to do with her other than her bloodline? I saw no reason, other than hatred and cowardliness. The Marleyans claimed to "save the world" but in reality they just wanted to gain control. In all honesty, I hoped the Eldians on Paradis wiped us all out. None of the Eldians still living had done anything remotely close to what King Fritz apparently did, yet they were still considered monsters from hell. How petty.

I rubbed my eyes in annoyance and stood up from my chair facing the empty window. Stretching, I sighed and walked towards the kitchen to make myself some tea. As the kettle began to sizzle, my mind started to fall down a dark hole.
Was I in any place to be wishing away our existence? What if something happened to her? What if it was my fault? Could I ever live with that?

The kettle came to a boil and I scrambled to turn it off, having lost myself in thought. I sighed again as I grabbed a teacup from the rickety cabinets, thinking about how long it had been since we'd seen each other. I knew she'd left on her journey more than two months ago, but I hadn't had much of a chance to spend time with her before she was gone. Was she thinking about me? I doubted it. She definitely had a lot to think about, and she probably didn't have any extra time to spare. It did make me a little disappointed when I thought about it, but then I felt guilty for thinking that way. What if she thought about me and made a mistake because of it, costing the lives of her comrades? I didn't care for their lives, but knowing her it'd break her heart, and I couldn't let her feel that way.

The tea splashed into the ceramic teacup that she had gotten for me. It was a little embarrassing, having our initials decorating the bowl, but I didn't mind. It was from her, and anything from her I held close to my heart. I sipped the hot tea and started to my bedroom, where I could write in peace. I had to pass in front of the door to get there, and I noticed it was cracked slightly. I set down my tea on the coffee table and reached for the handle when the door suddenly was flung open, barely missing my face.

"Y/N!" a gentle voice cried as a mess of black hair flew towards me. I saw a flash of a red armband—signifying the presence of a Warrior.

"Pieck?" I breathed, catching her in my arms. I felt weak as she hugged close to my chest, completely unable to grasp the fact that she was back, and in my arms. She looked up and her watery silver eyes met mine. I stared back down at her and stroked her hair, brushing it away from her tired eyes. I wanted to hold her in my arms forever, and never let her leave again.

"I'm sorry I left," she said, her voice cracking slightly, "Are you okay?"

I smiled and put held her head in my hands using my thumb to wipe a single tear that fell down her cheek. "I'm so amazing now that you're here," I said honestly as she delicately wiped a tear from my own face, "I'm so glad you came back," I pressed my lips against hers quickly before pulling her back to me, holding the her to my chest, grateful that she'd come to see me despite her endless work.

"I missed you so," she whispered, letting me go and stepping back to see my face.

"As did I," I searched her eyes for a reason she had to leave, though I already knew the answer. I was tempted beyond belief to grab her and run away with her to Paradis and escape the filthy Marleyans, but I knew she agreed with their views, and I did what I could to respect that.