14 | A Spaghettification Effect

Start from the beginning

Evanna got up reluctantly, arching her back like a lazy cat. "What do you want done?"

"Look at your room," Mary said, scrutinizing the room with distaste. "It can do with some cleaning too."

"It's fine." She eyed the powdery coating on the table. "Just some dust."

"Girls should learn to keep their things clean."

"Oh, so it's fine for guys to keep their stuff dirty?" she retorted.

"Are you talking back at me?" Mary snapped, eyes flashing.

"Mom, just tell me what you need done," Evanna said in what she hoped was a placating voice.

Shortly afterwards, she was at the utility closet, looking for dusters. "There's no duster here."

"I think the handle broke," Janet's voice answered from the living room. "Check for one in the attic."

A shiver ran down Evanna's spine when her mind conjured up arachnid shapes—furry monstrosities hiding in dark corners. Giving her head a quick shake, she trudged up to the attic, which was accessible by a narrow staircase near her room.

It was a small space she envisioned as a cozy loft, but it was currently used only for storage. Among the things scattered about were one or two boxes from Nuara that were still untouched. Blinds covered the slanted windows, letting in meager rays of light. A layer of dust coated the entire space, and as she stepped in, particles disturbed from their slumber rose up in a wispy cloud and seemed to shimmer in the patches of light.

Evanna hesitated in the semi-darkness for a good minute, her eyes roving over the place in apprehension. She took in the silvery strands of cobwebs in the corners. Tiny bodies of daddy long-legs were just visible. She grabbed her head as if to ward off her irrational fears.

Blowing out a puff of air, she walked up to the boxes. One label read "Eva's things". As she bent down, something brushed against her leg.

Evanna flinched, accompanied by the rapid uptick of her heart. It was just the edge of a box that had touched her leg.

"Great, Ev," she muttered, her breathing heavy.

The box turned out to be empty except for an old doll and other belongings. As curiosity stirred inside about Alter-Ev's childhood, she thought of asking Mary for photos. Suddenly, an image of Anukie bobbed up, and her stomach lurched.

As soon as she found what she was looking for, she ran downstairs.

Dusting and vacuuming became tolerable when she plugged in her earphones and listened to a playlist of Naruto songs. She dashed back to her room right after Mary nodded her satisfaction.

When she plonked down at the computer again, her phone rang. She glanced at the caller ID to see a close-up photo of Marilda making a V sign with a smile.

Evanna smacked the phone to her ear. "Mari-chan?"

"Evie!" the other girl's voice said.

"Mari-chan!"

"Evie!" Marilda let out one of her infectious giggles.

"What's up?" Evanna asked, grinning. "Why are you so cheerful?"

"Because...you and I are going somewhere."

"We are?"

"Yep. Right now."

"Nope." Evanna laughed. "I've got this thing to do—plus, I have anime to watch on Sundays."

"This is important!" Marilda said, her tone firm. "And it cannot be postponed."