Miami, Baby

Leon Ivanov, KGB

[REDACTED], [REDACTED]

June 29, 1982

I had just finished the next chapter in Rosa Luxenburgs pamphlet "Social Reform or Revolution?" when the captain pokes his head into my cabin. "We've arrived." he tells me.

I grab my gear, a Krig Rifle and a Diamatti Pistol. Then I meet the others in the command center. The captain of the cuban submarine, Martin Perez, seems to be speaking to someone on the radio. He turns to us and says. "It's Moscow. They wanna talk."

Portnova grabs the speaker. "This is Red-1, we're listening."

"Red-1, this is Star-1. Is everybody present?" Andropov asks over the radio.

"They are, Comrade." Portnova relays to him.

"Good." I hear him taking a deep breath. "I hope you are well prepared for this mission."

"We are, Comrade. Today we will have the answers we seek or die trying." I speak up.

"Is that you, Red-2? Yes, I suppose today we will see where you true loyalities lie." A year ago, I would have been offended by this. But not today. I need to make up for my past mistakes. Saving the world might be a good start.

"I called you because I want all of you to leave your Shadow Passes and everything else that could identifiy you behind on the submarine. I don't think I have to remind you what's at stake here and not just because of Perseus. If you are caught on american soil, the capitalists will have the excuse they need to wage war against us."

"So in order to prevent a world war, we might actually be starting one." Beck concludes.

"Exactly, that's why you need to be careful. Good luck out there. Loyalty to the Party - Loyalty to the Motherland!" he finishes.

"Loyalty to the Party..." I mutter.

The Captain comes over and gives us an update. "We will surface close to the shore so your trip with the dinghy will be as short as possible. We will then continue to circle the reef at South Beach, but we have about an hour before the coast guard might detect us. Don't be late."

"We won't. We germans are always on time." Beck jokes and I roll my eyes. At least one of us can make jokes at this point.

As we empty our pockets and remove the emblems on our uniforms, Portnova comes over to me and shows me a black capsule. "Take this. The others will get one as well"

I do as I'm told. "What is it? A painkiller?"

"It's cyanide. In case you're captured."

I nearly dropped the damn capsule. "Wha... What?" I wasn't exactly surprised but still, it came as a shock to me.

She sighs. "Believe me, I don't wanna die either. But when faced with the choice of sacrificing myself and saving millions, maybe even billions of others in the process, then so be it." she says to me with pride and determination in her voice. She is truly an idealist. Something all to rare in the spy business.

"You're right." I take a deep breath and place the capsule somewhere safe. "Let's go."

As the others climb up the letter to the hatch, Portnova suddenly leans in and kisses me on the check. "What was that for?"

"For good luck." she winks at me, before climbing up the ladder. "Don't forget your mask."

Damn, what a woman.