The first lead

Leon Ivanov, KGB

[REDACTED], Afghanistan

April 26, 1982

Have you ever tried to find a handful of guerilla leaders in an isolated, rugged countryside? Trust me, all your modern technology and equipment can't help you.

Even the best aerial reconnaissance proved useless, because the Bandits move quickly and never stay in one place for too long. And they are especially difficult to locate in the mountains with all the caves and tunnels.

Nevertheless, we found them. It took us many months but we caught them one by one, cutting of the head of many rebel groups.

While these actions helped to put almost the entire country firmly in the hands of soviet and loyal afghan forces, it didn't help with our Operation. 

We interrogated and, if they weren't cooperative, even tortured them by isolation, sleep deprivation and other psychological means. Eventually, they all broke sooner or later. But they have only met Perseus at some point and knew nothing about his greater plans. Every time, we had to start all over again and Chairman Andropov was getting impatient with our lack of progress.

Andropov also looked for my family, like he said. But the news were not good.

Turns out, my parents died in a traffic accident when I was just 5 years old. I was sent to an orphanage since I had no other remaining relatives, where learned the principles of socialism and went to summer camp with the Young Pioneers every year. I also graduated from Moscow State University with full honors.

After that, there are no more records of me. Maybe it was around this time that I joined Perseus. Of course, it was a shock to learn that I had no family. But perhaps it is for the best. My job is very dangerous and I wouldn't want them to worry about me.

I'm very lucky to have such an amazing team at my side. No, they're not just my team. After all these months, I regard them as my friends.

My new family.

Tonight, we deal with the last man our list. If he doesn't give us anything... we're done for, especially me. If I can't deliver them anything they might suspect that I'm warning Perseus, hiding evidence or something.

"What's that guys name again?" Garcia asks me while we observe a small village down the cliff. We are both wearing khaki camouflage uniforms and have silenced Tokarev pistols with us.

"Osama bin Laden. He's a saudi-arabian citizen who has answered the call for the holy war against us."

"Fucking idiot. Religion can make you blind and deaf, I've seen it back home." he replys with a snort.

"Agreed. Instead of waiting for paradise, we should create it here on earth."

"Perhaps he already did that for himself. How much money did the americans pay him?" 

I roll my eyes at the question. "Trust me, it's more than both of us will ever see in a lifetime."

"Marx said Religion is the opiate of the masses." Portnova remarks over the radio.

"Hey, that's unfair. Opiates are mind expanding drugs." I counter and hear Portnova laughing over this joke. Nice.

"Hey, I see him." Garcia says and gives me the binoculars. "Third house to the right, across the street."

I take a look and see bin Laden entering said house. "Portnova, Target ID confirmed. We're going in."

"Good. We'll be standing by." I hear Powers voice over the radio.