- its the end of the world

[ season 2 episode 16 ]

Meredith and Holly lay in Meredith's bed. Both staring at the ceiling. "We aren't going." Meredith says to George and Izzie who stood at the bedside. "You have to go to work. You're an intern. Saving lives is not optional." Izzie argues as the two stay still.

"I'm just not going." Meredith and Holly say. "I'm staying home and staying in my bed." Meredith said as Holly hummed. "I'm staying home and staying in Mer's bed." Holly said.

Izzie whispers something to George as George takes a seat on the bed. "Uh. Maybe there'll be a horrible accident. Cut a bunch of people open. Sternotomies, craniotomies. That'd be fun, right?" George asked. Holly sat up for a moment. Then she felt the feeling. The feeling she had the day her mom died.

She then threw herself back on the end as George sighed. Meredith grabs a pillow for Holly and Holly covers her face with the pillow as Meredith does the same. George and Izzie leave the room.

Cristina stands in the doorway. "You both have a feeling?" Cristina asks making both of them remove the pillow from their faces. "Yes." They say at the same time. "Okay." Cristina says dragging out the word. "What kind of feeling."

"Like I might die." Meredith says.

"Like someone might die." Holly says. They turn to look at each other. They hadn't told each other what their feeling was. Only that they had a feeling of something.

"Well first off, we work at a hospital. People die all around us everyday. And you." Cristina says pointing at Meredith. "Today? Tomorrow? Or in 50 years?" Izzie and George were stood outside the door listening.

"Cause we're all going to die eventually! But now we're late. Let's go." Cristina says. "Cristina. Come on!" Holly says as Cristina sighs and sits on the bed. "Ok this is me being supportive." Cristina said as both Meredith and Holly raise their eyebrow.

"Really?" Meredith asks as Cristina nods. Meredith sits up. "Okay the man I love has a wife. And he chooses her over me. And that wife takes my dog. " Cristinas face instantly turns confused. "Okay she didn't take the dog, I gave it to her but I didn't mean to give it to her I meant to give it to him. But that does not change the fact that she's got my McDreamy! And my McDog. She's got my McLife! And what have I got?" Meredith stares at Cristina who says nothing.

"Do you know I can't remember the last time we kissed. Cause you never think the last time is the last time. You think there'll be more. You think you have forever but you don't." Meredith says with a calmer and sad tone and slumps back down in the bed. "Plus my conditioner decided to stop working and I think I have brittle bones. I just, I just need something to happen. I need a sign that things are going to change. I need a reason to go on. I need some hope. And in the absence of hope I need to stay in hed and feel like I might die today." Meredith says.