Chapter 25 - Bonfires Make One Emotional

When I reached the bonfire, my friends were sitting there making casual conversation, happy smiles painted on their face. Its a picture perfect moment, a picture perfect night. Minho noticed me watching and patted the space beside him, motioning for me to sit. I did so and he slung his arm around me as I leaned on his shoulder. This reminded me of nights in the Glade. But the only thing missing was Gally's drink.
Gally. My heart ached as I remembered him. He was my best friend. To others he was intimidating, unfeeling, but I remembered his hearty laugh after I told him some lame joke, the way he'd let his guard down when we were talking, and him building me all sorts of things and leaving it at different spots throughout the Glade for me to find. I miss him. I miss him so much and I wished he was here.
"Tomorrow, we'll leave all of this shit behind." Minho said beside me.
"What do you think the safe haven looks like?" I asked him.
"No idea. But anything's better than the maze, or WICKED, or being on the run all the time."
"I thought you liked running," I joked. He then poked my side which caused me to let out a shriek. I was ticklish, okay?

Unlike our previous nights, in this place, we had tents all to ourselves. They seemed to have an abundance of beds as well. Me and Teresa were grouped to be in one tent since we were the only girls. But she wasn't here yet so I assumed she was with Thomas.

I plumped down on the bed and took off my boots, savoring the soft mattress. I was in the middle of taking off my jacket when Newt entered.
"Hi love." I made notice of the happy smile on his lips.
"How did it go with Sonya?" I stood up to meet him.
"Good. I still can't believe I have a sister." He scratched his head before placing his hands on my waist.
"I'm happy, you're happy." I looked into his eyes and drank in the joy in them.
Newt leaned in and kissed me gently. His soft lips pressed against mine lovingly.
"I love you." He breathed out.
"I love you too, Newt." I said before kissing him once again.
Since Teresa wasn't here yet, Newt stayed longer. We kissed and cuddled on my little bed. I tried to memorize his features as I ran my fingers through his hair.
"When we get to the safe haven, I'll finally be able to live a normal life with you. We'll build a house, paint the walls...uhm,"
"Do we even know what a normal life is?" I giggled at us struggling to come up with "normal" things people do.
"Perhaps we'll have some animals. And you can finally keep the pig as your pet." He chuckled.
"Oh, you'll plant a garden! And I'll cook the vegetables you plant." I said successfully.
"And uhm..." I tried thinking of more.
"And I'll marry you." Newt said. I looked at him and saw that he was serious.
"Aren't you gonna ask me first?" I smiled as I traced his jawline.
"Well, will you marry me? Don't worry I'll come up with a better proposal...with flowers and all that jazz." He winked.
"Yes." I said without hesitating. He smiled widely at me.
"Really?"
"Oh, on second thought, maybe not." I joked. He gave me a look of mock hurt before tickling my sides.
"Shuckface!!" I said in between laughing.
I eventually fell asleep to the sound of Newt's laughter.