twenty three

✧ Y/N's pov

I huffed out a breath trying to balance the heavy shopping bags in my hands which made me stagger.

After my job interview, that surprisingly went well and got me hired by a near company, I had decided to buy some groceries. While searching in the fully stocked isles, I found one of those little cakes with cream and strawberries in it and I just had to buy it.

I struggled to find my keys inside my pocket before entering the apartment.

"I'm home!". I exclaimed stepping in the dark living room, facing it with my back. "I got us some food and a cake that I bet you'll like to see. I finally found a job and we have to celebrate!". I placed  the groceries on the wooden table.

There was a strange feeling that made me forget how excited I was. "Minghao?". I turned anxiously around hoping to see him float in front of me, as he would usually do. "Are you here?".

I switched the lights on and gasped as my eyes landed on the floor, where the glass vase had shattered along with the lilies, now all torn and glowing in the strange blue light which I had seen after connecting with his memories.

My legs immediately rushed to the corridor, where I bursted in the bathroom but unfortunately no traces were left around.

"Minghao!". I yelled, stepping in the bedroom. I opened the wardrobe but he wasn't there, he wasn't hiding behind the bed either. "Don't joke around, this is not funny!". I turned around hearing a rustle, but it was only my coat brushing on the bed sheets.

Silence. I hated it. It was suffocating and making my mind go crazy.

Minghao would usually greet me as soon as I came back or sometimes he would sit in front of the window, absorbed in his thoughts as he quietly hummed tunes, at which I had to step right in front of him to snap him out of his dreams, his flustered face making me laugh every time.

But now it pained my heart not having him around, even for a moment, in this apartment.

"Minghao!". I called out for him again, walking back in the living room. Again no response.

I went out and knocked on my neighbours' door, hoping they would have at least seen him. Jeonghan opened the door.

"Have you seen Minghao? I can't find him in my apartment and I don't know where he could be other than here". I hurriedly said.

"He came inside and he is with Joshua playing games". I felt all my worries vanish in an instant at his words. "But he seems out of it, like completely". He looked back inside and then at me. "We should give him some time for now... I heard him yelling before when you were out, I don't know why... Try to help him open up when you see he has come back to his senses". Jeonghan smiled bitterly, probably feeling torn at seeing his friend like that.

"I'll try my best. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, Jeonghan, you are a good person and a reliable friend". I patted his shoulder trying to reassure him. "And if you have any information that might be important, I'm here".

"Yes, thank you. I... will get him for you". His eyes seemed so absent for an instant before he walked back in and called the guys. It made me wonder why.

I noticed the big framed picture on the wall behind their sofa, all the Seventeen members smiling brightly and behind them the beautiful scenery of the mountains. They seemed so happy that only looking at them made me feel content.

But deep down it made my heart ache,  urging me to go forward and not to give up on helping them more. I had to help Minghao more.

"Y/N!". Joshua greeted me as soon as his face appeared from the corridor, making me shift my gaze to his approaching figure. "I was showing Minghao this crazy pc game that I never seem to end and-". Jeonghan made his ramble stop, putting a hand on his shoulder.