Chapter 13: The Agreement

Start from the beginning

"This is going to be so much fun for a reunion," Mrs. Canali said before the car rolled up in front of the house was a cottage.

*****

Stella could feel the vibration of the car even before someone was knocking on the door. She was enjoying a relaxing chat with Mrs. Marchand and Xavier before her man standing guard.

"Someone's coming," he said before he was moving out of the kitchen he was getting to the living room and cursed under his breath.

"Who was it?" his mother asked before Stella's heartbeat was beating so fast.

"Do not come. I will handle it," he said and before he could go out, Stella was following him as well. "Stella, I told you already—"

"And I heard you. Something doesn't feel right and I want to talk to this... visitor as well," she said before she was looking at the sleek rental car. The kind that her mother would rent.

Sweet Jesus Christ, no!

Xavier was putting his hand on her lower back before the driver was getting out of the car and went to open the backseat. Stella was gripping Xavier's arm before the first thing she saw was her mother's heels she was emerging from the car and she was looking at her.

"Finally, you decided to show up, my daughter," her mother's cold voice penetrated her eardrums before Stella was gripping her man's arm even more.

"Mother," she said quietly before Mrs. Canali was looking at Xavier. She arched her eyebrow at Stella before Xavier, being the protective man that he was, putting himself in front of her, not knowing what was going on.

"Who are you and why are you here?" he asked her mother before Mrs. Canali was looking at her daughter and smirked. Then, her mother rolled down a piece of paper and Xavier was looking at it. Then, he was gripping her lower back.

"Is your mother home? I think I will have a conversation with the adult in the house," her mother was looking at Xavier before she smirked again. "It is a delicate matter and urgent," she said before Stella sensed someone was standing behind them. She turned and Xavier was looking at his mother as well.

"Well, it's about time you come, old friend," Mrs. Marchand said before Stella was looking at her future mother-in-law and her mother. Old friend? It would seem that Stella and Xavier were not included in the conversation as her mother was walking past her before whispering to her.

"I hope you like the mess that you created," she said before Stella stiffened and the older ladies went into the house to talk some business.

*****

Mrs. Canali was walking behind Xavier's mother before she was looking around the cottage. It was cozy and yet cold. She did not know what she was feeling but she was looking at her childhood friend. She was the longest, oldest friendship that Mrs. Canali ever had and she missed her.

She missed her best friend after all these years.

Once upon a time, when she was still living in France, she knew that Mrs. Marchand was different from her when they went to elementary school together. They were bullied but then that made them friends until they met their husbands. Mrs. Marchand moved to Cyprus after she got married and Mrs. Canali went to Italy to follow her husband there.

It's been a long time since they reconnected with each other.

"So, you have to claim my son for your daughter," her oldest friend said before Mrs. Canali nodded, taking notes there were some cups and tea with biscuits on the island counter of the kitchen. Her heart ached because her daughter never opened up to her.

Not like the way Mrs. Canali wanted.

"So, I guess you know that my husband was dead," her friend said before Mrs. Canali straightened up. She nodded before she was clearing her throat.

"Condolence. I am sorry I could not make it sooner to meet you and your children," she said sincerely before Mrs. Marchand was waving her hand at her friend.

"No worries and you did not need to demand that your daughter marry my son." Her friend said before she was looking at the porch. Mrs. Canali can see their children were staying together as Xavier was brushing his lips on Stella's forehead. Mrs. Canali's heart ached for her father used to do that to her as well.

"She's the one for him, isn't she?" she asked her old friend but Mrs. Marchand just shrugged at her.

"If she chose to, yes. But they already did the claiming so if you wanted to take her away from this island, you have to bring my son as well," she said before Mrs. Canali was looking at her. She arched her eyebrow.

"Did they—?"

"Yes," that was the simplest thing Mrs. Marchand would say about her son's mate. After all, Mrs. Canali did not need to know the whole details.

"So, she's impure now," she said before she was looking at her daughter. Even though she was not happy with her daughter's decision, it was the best that she did to come here. Mrs. Canali smiled.

"I think you're being hard on yourself and your daughter. Maybe it's time to move on and perhaps enjoy life now, mon amie," Mrs. Marchand said before she was wiping her tears as Mrs. Canali was looking at her friend. She smiled before she was hugging her. Mrs. Canali was missing her friend and the very last, they reunited and it was the best feeling of all.

"What will your son think about me taking Stella home then?" she asked her friend before Mrs. Marchand smiled at her.

"He will follow as he loves Stella so much," she said before Mrs. Canali smiled and turned to look at their children before she toughened up to get the job done. And she will be responsible for it.

*****

"Do you regret this?" Stella asked Xavier before she was looking at her lover. He smiled before he bent forward and kissed her on the lips.

"Wherever you might go, my love, I will always be with you. Forever," he said before Stella smiled and hugged him, knowing that their time together will short now that she knew her mother will take her home.