xxiv. ROSSMERY

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

ROSSMERY

"𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐮𝐬 𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐰𝐞'𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐬𝐥𝐞𝐞𝐩

"𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐮𝐬 𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐰𝐞'𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐬𝐥𝐞𝐞𝐩."

BY THE TIME THE GROUP ARRIVES AT THE MOUNTAIN PEAKS OF TENNESSEE, ELIZABETH IS SITTING AT THE EDGE OF HER SEAT; LEG BOUNCING NERVOUSLY.

Billie and Finneas hold a conversation upfront. Claudia seated next to Elizabeth and Zoe across from them; staring at her phone in the back.

Claudia notices Elizabeth's lack of movement with her eyes, her stare not daring to leave the floor. She was nervous, but uncomfortable more so. She didn't have much information about what went on between Billie and her ex.

Claudia knew she shouldn't, that she should just let it play itself out. But she couldn't stand the thought of Elizabeth's heart-crushing when she sees them together.

"It's probably nothing anymore," Claudia whispers over to her quietly."Rossmery was the closest thing Billie knew about love until she met you. It's not saying much so don't be worried, I just want you to not be taken off guard."

Elizabeth doesn't ask any questions, only nodding her head as the van parks down a long driveway. They step out to a beautiful house. One that sat calmly in the middle of clean air. Too clean to breathe.

Elizabeth thought about it, she thought about how the home screamed stability and that she had to be prepared for something she could never accomplish to be, to walk out of that front door. She was overthinking it; it wasn't good for her.

She watches Billie as she happily walks up to an elder couple coming out to greet them. She warms them in hugs by the front door.

Elizabeth grabs her things from the back of the van, watching from a distance until she was forced to go up there with the rest. She walks to catch up, smiling lightly as she's introduced by Billie to the older couple. She takes the time to introduce everyone else before being invited inside.

They walk into an air-conditioned kitchen, spotless of a single mess, everything having its own place.

"Rossmery's downstairs setting everything up for y'all. Why they were just as excited as we were to hear you were comin' out here after so long!" The lady smiles, a southern drawl escapes the family's lips.