xxi. GAS?

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

GAS?

"𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐥𝐢𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐝 𝐚 𝐬𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐈 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐰

"𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐥𝐢𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐝 𝐚 𝐬𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐈 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐰."

"YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING."

The van decelerates to the highway margin. As it stops, Billie rests her head on the wheel out of frustration.

"Billie" Finneas groans from the back.

Elizabeth looks over beside her to Billie, "Out of gas?"

"I didn't want to stop last night, I thought we'd make it to the next exit."

"How far is it?" Claudia speaks from the back.

Billie looks ahead of them in hopes that she'd be able to see it. Only the mountain's edge stood in the way of the twisty roads. "About two and a half miles."

She unclicks her seatbelt, turning off the van engine. "Hand me the gas can in the back would you?"

Zoe drags it from the back, handing Billie the red plastic canteen. "What are you going to do, walk?"

"This situation doesn't leave us with much of a choice."

"Well, someone should go with her, right? Something could go wrong." Claudia speaks, hoping that one of the others would volunteer. But the only one that spoke up was Zoe.

"No way Bil, you're on your own if you think I'm going out there in that rain."

"I think Claudia just volunteered herself," Finneas speaks up, flinching as Claudia hits his arm.