xix. YOU'RE OUT

CHAPTER NINETEEN

YOU'RE OUT

"𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐫𝐲 𝐭𝐨 𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐝𝐨𝐞𝐬𝐧'𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮

"𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐫𝐲 𝐭𝐨 𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐝𝐨𝐞𝐬𝐧'𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮."

ELIZABETH STANDS IN THE MIRROR, HER SHIRT TORN OFF HER BODY AS SHE INSPECTS HER SHOULDER.

A bruise spreads from the bone of her shoulder down her arm. Blue and purple from the freshness. From Billie pushing her a few days before. Leaving her to walk home in socks and a t-shirt.

She looks up to meet Billie's eyes in the mirror as she rests against the bathroom door frame behind her. She sighs, pulling her sweater back on her body.

She watches Billie through the mirror, not daring to face her. She approaches behind her, hands resting on her hips. She stares at the two of them through the mirror, chin resting on her shoulder.

Billie's finger brushes back and forth on her clothes, tickling her side. Although she doesn't leave a reaction. Staring expressionless to the mirror. 

"How is your shoulder?" She asks sweetly, burying her words in her neck.

"It's fine." She turns to face Billie, holding her cheeks in her cold hands.

"I'm so sorry."

"You've told me," Elizabeth whispers, brushing her thumb on her skin ever so gently. "It's okay."