Chapter 6

I woke in the morning with another gift square by my bed, I opened it to reveal a pair of jeans from the 23rd century with the 21st century look. And a t-shirt that had been very popular a few years ago and converse that never seem to fade from history. I smiled I loved old things and the way they just fit me right. I put on the clothes and ran out of my room with a smile. I looked over the balcony to see all three men sitting in chairs in front of the fireplace. They were talking about something, I stayed very quiet trying to overhear their conversation. "She should be outside with the other slaves!" One man said. I'm was guessing he was Richard because he was one I hadn't seen before. he had a scraggly beard and wore a suit. His hair was slicked back and he looked very professional but not nearly as attractive as Jake or Spencer.

"No, she needs to remain in the house, she is my property I say where she should be." Spencer replied, he had a cold gaze mixed with confidence directed at the two.

"So Spencer why are you treating this one so well?" Jake said looking at him with a persistent smile. "We both know what happened to that family."

"That wasn't my fault!" Spencer shouted and slammed his fist onto the arm of the chair. I jumped a bit seeing the anger on his face.

"Then whose fault was it!" Richard shouted back.

"They took them away. There was nothing more I could do about it..."

"So why is she different then, why don't you think they won't just take her away too?"

"Because she's my mistress," he stated bluntly.

"Then why aren't you treating her like one, have you even tried to-"

"No, and that's the last I want you to mention any of my sexual affairs."

"You aren't trying to replace Rose are you?" Rose?Who's rose? I thought and leaned further over the railing trying to listen.

"This has nothing to do with her!" Spencer snapped.

"But you know they will find out about her, they have been paying close attention to you."

"I told you, things will be different! She isn't the same." He looked at the ground with a slight smile. "She's... Different."

"Well we won't tell anyone anything for now but if things get out of hands between you two, I will report you. And don't think that I won't treat her any different, she's still just a lowly American slave."

"You shouldn't be eavesdropping on the masters." A voice said from behind me. I jumped and turned around. "You'll get yourself into trouble that way." It was a man that had cleaning materials with him and a scowl on his face. He chuckled, "You won't survive very long here. You may have value to Master Dowlen but Master Jake and Master Richard will put you in your place. You can't live off Master Dowlen for long, some time or another he will snap. Just like he always does." And with that the man walked away. What a strange man.

I turned back to listen the conversation the men were having when I hit my hand on the railing, "Ouch." I said louder than expected. All three men turned and looked up at me, "I... Uh..." I didn't know what to say, I was frozen with terror.

"What are you doing!" Richard snapped at me.

"I-I'm sorry! I-I came to talk to spen- I mean Master Dowlen, but you were-"

"You stupid slave! Didn't anyone ever teach you not to eavesdrop!"

"I'm so sorry!" I quickly bowed but I hit my head on the railing. I stood straight up holding my forehead.

"You'll get yours!" He started to walk up the stairs but Spencer grabbed him by the arm and shook his head. Richard jerked his arm away, then headed down the the hall. I let out a sigh of relief. Jake's smile slowly faded away as he stood up and followed Richard down the hall.