Chapter 7

Leticia Ray's

"Leticia. Leticia, we are home. Wake up." I heard my father's voice along with the engine dying down in the background. I don't want to open my eyes yet. I just want to stay here for a while because as soon as I open my eyes and move, my life without Louis will also start. It'll be a living nightmare.

I took in a deep breath first before I let my eyes flutter open and take in the environment I was in. I am not really in the mood to move my things inside, but it is better to do it rather than to just overthink the situation that I am in and worry Louis. I had decided to trust him after all. I'll wait for him.

Eventually, my father left me to attend his job. I was on my own to fend for myself. It took me more than an hour to take my things inside the house, and then it took me another hour to carry some of my stuff to my room. I am just glad that my room is not situated upstairs else, I'll definitely not be able to finish today. Moving is too tiresome. Not to mention, if you're carrying a heavy heart as well.

I shook my thoughts away and decided that I deserve a break from all of these boxes. I'll take out the necessary stuff first that I'll use for school. I'll sort them out and open the rest of the boxes tomorrow. I don't think I could handle any of this anymore. I've entertained myself way too much after all. Yea, I've realized that after checking my phone.

"It's past lunchtime already?" I told to no one as I made my way tiredly to the kitchen to make anything from what is available in the fridge. I wonder what Louis is doing. I bet he is in school right now. But why didn't he text me? He didn't even check if I arrived safely at my new home.

I groaned and picked an egg before slamming the fridge shut. I check my phone again just to make sure, and there's still nothing. I hang my head low in defeat. "This is why I shouldn't have stopped sorting my things and fixing my room." I complained to myself before I place my phone down and started to search for the pan and cooking oil. I'll just assume he is too busy right now to even send two words to his beloved stepsister- lover. Lover. I need to be able to get used to it.

From groaning, I found myself smiling in an instant. Just thinking about me calling him babe is enough to make my heart skip a beat again. It's not that biggie, and we had probably done more than that, but still... I just couldn't explain the joy of it. It's like we are more than official now. We are fitting into the norms of society as well little by little.

I hummed as I season the eggs. "Maybe I should forgive him and send him a message." I smile to myself as I pick up my phone again. I think of what to tell him as I turn off the stove. If I am being honest, I miss him already. But then, I've been too clingy enough.

I plated my eggs and grabbed some yogurt that I've found beforehand. "An update might do..." I whispered as I sit down and stare at my phone screen. I crinkled my nose. I don't know why this is taking me long and hard. Maybe the experience of mum getting us caught because of text messages traumatized me at some point. Trauma. I think that's too much of a heavy word. Anxious. The experience had gotten me anxious. I think that's a better suiting word.

"Ah, this is not helping me at all!" I complained. I drop my phone at the table as I started eating. How hard sending a text could be? It's just Louis. I've known him all my life. I guess living in different houses gives off a different vibe as well. It's out of our element, and it has a different charm to it. Why does it sounds like I am liking our setup now? This is some kind of being optimistic, Leticia. Keep fooling yourself.

I began typing after those swirling thoughts of mine. 'Big brother, have you eaten ye-'

"No! Babe. Call him babe." I scolded myself before deleting everything. You're not just the stepsister. This isn't a secret anymore either. Act like a proper girlfriend now, Leticia.