What its all been for_dream_(au)🐁

Dream felt a emotion that he would never be able explain as he runs his thumb over the torn leather of the book in his arms. He couldn't believe that out of all people that could have given him the secret he so badly needed to unlock it was Schlatt . The yellowed pages threatened to crumble under his gentle touch as he let himself absorb the knowledge he had been searching for for far to long and suddenly his hands were trembling. If this worked every drop of blood he had shed , every tear he had cried would be worth it. He finally remembered what this has all been for.

As the final candle burned out Dream waited with baited breath. Suddenly all of his work and all of his pain was brought before him in a blaze of green embers that died out to reveal two figures. Cat blinked in confusion , reaching out a hand as his tail and ears search for familiarity.

" Cat?!"

Blind eyes turn to the smaller of the forms , a young boy with copper hair. The two fell into a embrace they regretted not being able to have before the floor had dropped from underneath the blind man's feet. They break away and Robin notices a familiar figure watching the pair with tears shining in his eyes and not allowing himself to dare get his hopes up.

"Wait is that -?!"

The figure watches the cat like ears of his lover flick over in his direction at the mention of the name and nods

" yeah, it's me "

Soon Robin is dragging Cat over so that they can hug once again, this time with the third man. Dream, no Cornelius finally lets his guard drop and clings to the pair with a sob

" I missed you guys so much ! You never deserved that "

Cat protectively nuzzles  into the two shorter boys and let's himself let out a purr, last he remembers was being about to die, falling into the burning sensation he would end with but yet now he was somewhere that smelled way different hugging a lover he believed dead and a child he raised as his own and he wouldn't let them down again.

" 'Neil what happened?"

Cornelius let out another sob at the deep voice he couldn't believe he had almost forgotten

" yeah? Last I remember was ... grieving after I saw Cat thrown into lava after you were murdered how are we here "

Cornelius let out a sad and dry chuckle

" believe me it wasn't easy "

He basked in the warmth of the two bodies

" but it worked , it finally worked "

He lets himself step back and drink in every detail on their faces , scolding himself for any he dared forget as tears stung his eyes in a way he hadn't allowed them to in a long time

" you both are back to me , I didn't fail , you guys are back"

He let himself sob once again , let his true family comfort him once again. Seeing them again only reminded him why he's done everything he's done , to give the two people he cared most about a second chance, to allow the injustice done to the two kindest souls he knew to be put to the past. No one would stop him now , no one could stop the joy blossoming in his chest and for the hundredth time the last hour and let himself be crushed in the arms of Cat and Robin. He almost had forgotten who they were , what they looked like, their kindness and even his real name but now that the memories were back he knew this time he wouldn't be alone to grieve. Knew this time he wouldn't have to desperately force every detail he remembers back into his memory or risk loosing himself .

This time , he tells himself as he lets himself forget the screams of agony and grief escaping the mouth of a boy who had already lost so much. This time , he tells himself as he forgets the cold night the child spent on the very block that killed his father.... the block that would kill him the very next day . This time ...

This time would be different