Chapter 13: Misfire

TW: There are quite heavy mentions of blood, severe injury and surgery within this chapter.

"The map says the base should be up there," Lyra said, craning her neck to see if she could glimpse the Alterra building on top of the cliffs.

"Are you sure?" Samuel asked. He trod backwards, inches of sky revealing themselves before he bumped his back against a tall cluster of stones.

Lyra murmured to herself as she side-stepped around the base of the mountain. The coastal wind yanked at her fleece-lined coat, and she popped together a few more buttons. Clouds gathered but delayed in unleashing their fury to observe the life forms shivering on the dark sands, and fog glistened on the upper peaks, drooping wearily towards them. "The map says it's still there."

"Doesn't mean there will be anything of use," Hunter said. "Could just be an empty building for all we know."

"Or there could be resources and supplies." Lyra squinted at the vessel peeking out of the water behind them and the pilot on the roof repairing a few minor scrapes. "How is it looking, Cass?"

"Not as bad as I thought," Cassidy answered, lifting her voice over the whistling wind. "Shouldn't be too much longer. I don't want to hang about. Those cryptosuchus do not look like they appreciate visitors."

Lyra left her to it and trekked across the dark grains, keeping the rocky inclines to her right. Her protective boots crunched into the powder and sludged snow underfoot. The first alien planet she'd ever visited had been like Sector Zero. From her bedroom window, she'd seen a light like the one revolving at the top of the radio tower above her. The tiny golden light had spotted her watching and sparkled at her, and she'd counted each blink until she'd fallen asleep. 

A warbled chirp lilted towards her and mingled with the rush of the tide. Around the corner, she found a huddle of Pengwings. The infants toddled in the centre of their ranks, trying to find the most warmth against their parents' round bellies as they waddled together.

"You are the most adorable little creatures ever," Lyra whispered as she lowered herself down. Some noticed her and trilled, slapping their flippers against their flubber. Others ambled from the shore and united with their fellows, chirruping in greeting and shaking the wet from their light coats.

Lyra plonked down on the sand and mimicked the Pengwings' warbles, holding back a giggle of delight when one returned the call. Feet ground at the dirt behind her, and she angled round, hoping to see more of them. Water lapped at empty sands, bubbles fizzled in the gaps between the pebbles, and crackling teemed in her ears like the remnants of lightening dying out after a heavy strike.

The Pengwings continued to communicate, and she pushed up from her powdery seat. Something crackled again, closer. The crinkle flurried about her head, and as she dragged her foot backwards, a force against her chest propelled her down. A section of air undulated before her, and a cloaked, humanoid figure formed within it, tentacles waving behind them and their fist tightening around a short, curved blade.

She scrambled to her feet and strained her breathing against the pain quivering in her left side. She rubbed at the sore spot and prickles of wet smeared against her palm. Red tendrils trickled through her fingers in racing drops.

Her body swayed, and her head lolled up, the thumping in her chest reverberating through her frame. The shrouded figure came for her anew, their form vanishing before they reached her. She lurched out of the way and swung out at thin air with a grunt, yelping out a cry for help. Her vision flickered between a hazing blur and her gifted sight. The grey of the mountains blended with the snow, and wisps of red and gold accumulated over the breach in her waist. She wrangled with the dizzying fluctuations until she permitted the Sea Emperor's influence full reign. The attacker's aura gleamed like flames. He dashed with speed and agility across the sand, and she surged towards him. She kicked at his shin and thrust her fist into the side of his skull before he could strike again, narrowly missing a second jab of the knife. He staggered up and careened into a cavern by the Pengwings. Her powers faltered and returned her to the misty haze.