Chapter 17

Frank;

Gerard and I's relationship is working out so well. He's such a sweetheart, he always makes sure I'm happy, he just cares. He makes me feel so special, he makes me feel of worth, and I could never, in a million years, ask for a better boyfriend. We've been together for two weeks now, we made it through the new year, kissing when the ball dropped, and we've made it by without my mom finding out yet. I know she'll find out sometime, but she's working really hard on rebuilding our broken relationship and I don't want that all to go crumbling down because of my choice of partner.

We haven't had many worries in our relationship yet, but today is when they'll start appearing in the form of harsh words and violence. It's my first day back at school and I could not be more terrified. Gerard, Mikey, and Ray have done an excellent job at keeping me up with school, so I'm not worried about that, I just don't want all the abuse to return. I've been feeling refreshed and relieved not having to fear what the day is going to throw at me, my body is no longer a mixture of colors, and I've been doing good on keeping clean. What will I do if Greyson shoves his nose in it? What if I become the punching bag again? I couldn't handle it, I've dealt with too much.

So, with a deep breath and a racing mind, Gerard and I make our way into the school, hands latched. Mikey and Ray are doing the same, their hands are clasped together and they're stuck closer together than gum stuck on a shoe. "Just ignore everyone, okay? If they get violent, just let me handle it."

"So you can get beat up?" I retort, probably knocking him down a few pegs. I didn't mean to sound rude, but he isn't stronger than Greyson. Greyson is one of those guys who you see on a cheesy cartoon who says, "I eat nails for breakfast." With children's tears on the side, probably.

"No, so you don't get beat up," he answers, squeezing my hand. I smile at him slightly, then hitch my shoulder up to stop my backpack strap from falling off my shoulder.

"I love you," I whisper, squeezing his hand back.

Before Gerard can say the obvious response, someone slings their arm over my shoulders and falls into step with us.

"I was wondering when you'd come back. Thought I scared you off." I physically cringe as soon as the voice hits my eardrums. I don't respond, I just wait; I wait for the insults or punches. I wait for the promise that he'll beat the shit out of me later. I wait.

"No hello, Frank?" He asks, sounding disappointed. "Come on, I've missed you. It's been, like, two months. How've you been? What's been up, what's been down?"

"Come on, Greyson, leave him alone, please," Gerard says, gripping my hand even tighter. I appreciate him for stepping in, I don't think I could've answered anything Greyson was throwing at me. A lump formed in my throat, it felt like someone shoved a tennis ball in my throat and expected me to answer then clearly. All I can do is just wonder why he isn't beating me up. Is this just a welcome back to make me think he's nice so he can pummel me later and laugh at my surprised face?

"Aw, come on, Gerard! I'm trying to welcome Frank back to school. We've all missed him," Greyson shouts, pulling his arm off my shoulders, allowing me to relax slightly. His close proximity still tenses my muscles and stresses my mind. It's impossible to relax when someone who seethes so much hate towards you is so close and acting nice. Something is going to happen. "But okay, I'll leave and let you guys get to it.' He turns to me and lightly and playfully slaps my cheek twice, "See ya later, Frankie."

"What a jerk," Gerard mumbles, pulling me along to my locker. "He's definitely planning something, but he won't lay a finger on you if I have anything to do with it."