Chapter 9: 𝑫𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒊𝒆𝒔 𝑪𝒐𝒍𝒍𝒊𝒅𝒆

She was so ethereal, yet so normal.

"What are you?" I asked.

"The savior you're looking for," she giggled.

Was she insane?

"Thanks weird woman but I'm way past being helped."

She sat on her knees and leaned over to search into my eyes.

I didn't mean to give her the stank face but it happened, "Girl, back u-"

"You're in love," she interrupted.

I sighed and put a hand to my chest, shocked that it still ached. "Was, you mean."

"Why'd you leave him?" she backed away and tilted her head.

"He told m-"

"That it would bring him sorrow if you stayed, right?"

"Um...yeah?"

She stood and smoothed down her flowing white dress, "Ah...men. Not the best communicators in the world," she took my hand and forced me to stand, "Come on. We're going to put a smile on that sad face."

I rolled my eyes, "I'm not sad."

She unzipped the tent and walked out with me, "I don't see any rain. Do you?"

"How do you know about tha-"

She turned back into an old lady.

"Sorry," she humped over, holding the cane. "I'm never allowed to show my true self."

Oh...so she was like me.

But why did she turn old?

"Why did I turn old?" she asked.

Did she just read my mind again?

She smiled and lead me to a lake.

Those were real? I had never seen one in my district before.

She turned back into herself, "Whew lawdy, my back."

I gave her half a smile.

"Why do you do that?" she asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Smile when you're not even happy?"

I didn't answer.

She got up close to my face again, "Why are you so dull? Cheer up! Who cares if the world floods or burns."

"I do."

"Of course," she mumbled and picked up dead grass. "One day you're going to have to accept yourself, even when no one else does."

I sat back against a tree, ignoring her.

"What? Have you heard this all before from a certain someone?" she smirked.

How does she do that?

She laughed a little and the dead grass turned to ash between her fingers, "I've been an outcast too. Believe it or not, I was hated because my beauty exceeded everyone else's."

She sat down and laid back in the grass, reminiscing, "Their husbands, sons, brothers would come to me without shame. I was hated for it. I couldn't choose myself so I changed myself and left. I found myself in this village in a different form and they named me the chief, but of course... they've never truly seen me."

She started chasing a butterfly, "And one thing I've always noticed is that wherever I go, there is only light. It can not rain wherever I stand. Weird right?"