Chapter 3: 𝑯𝒊𝒅𝒅𝒆𝒏 𝑾𝒊𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏

(... still the backstory) & thanks for reading!!🌹

•••

"Curse you!! Witch!!"

I hadn't the tears to cry anymore.
"I'm not doing anything," I responded calmly.

"Kaia?"

I tried so hard for my voice to be heard, but why wouldn't they listen?!

Weren't my feelings, honesty, sincerity valued to them? Why weren't they valid. Why weren't the-

"Kaia."

I blinked. Sweat dripping down my forehead.

With an irritated moan, I huffed, "Great. My edges."

"You've been acting differently lately," a rather pretty heavy-set girl, Jess, hopped down from her bunk. She too, was a good friend of mine.

"Thanks for noticing."

Jess turned to me, pulling on her coat before placing a hand on the door knob, "Ready for training?"

I would have laughed if this terror wasn't filling every inch of my body. As every day goes, I was great at playing it cool and safe, even after a breakdown.

"Of course," I reached to place a knife in my boot, pulling on the straps as I noticed the scar on my leg.

That day my father died, should I have felt differently? Because, it hadn't rained since then...

"Let's get out of here."

•••

"Damn! Them hands girl."

Jess huffed as she looked around at everyone in pairs at the campground, then back at me, "Maybe a bit easier haha? I didn't eat breakfast."

"Sorry," I responded.

She looked at me, cocking her head to the side and opening her mouth, "Kaia-"

"KAIA!!! The captain wants you," I saw one of the other students run up to me.

What now?

I nodded as if I was ready, and nothing but that same fear from before fell into a dark pit in my stomach.

I sighed and looked at the sky. No clouds in sight. Just sun. As usual.

•••

I knocked on the already open door of Naven's office.

I was sure he heard me.

He looked up from reading, open book in hand, while he sat in his leather seat. His swords were rested on the floor beside him.

He really was prepared for the worst at every second. Just as I used to be.

Did he bring you here to torture me?

"Rain Devil!"
Crash.

Why isn't he saying anything?

"You will bring nothing but sorrow to those you care about!"
Crash.

He's just boring holes into my soul. Is that what he wants to do?

"Kaia!"

I blinked and looked at him. How long has he been calling my name?

"Get up," he demanded.

I stared blankly into the nothingness as I  stood. When did I hit the floor? Haven't I heard those words before?

Snapping out of my thoughts, I took a look at Naven. He was now standing with both his hands flat on his desk. He never looked so unphased.

"Do you remember those words, Kaia?"

"What words?" I asked calmly, as if I didn't just have another episode.

"You still have the quits in you." He walked around to the front of the desk and sat on the surface, and naturally, I backed away.

He squinted as he studied me, then grabbed one of his swords.

"Close the door."