Chapter 4: 𝑳𝒆𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝑴𝒆 𝑼𝒏𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒚

That violent gold glint returned to his eyes. It was so familiar and it shook me.

I ran to escape but he beat me to the door at lightning speed. As he started to close all thirteen locks, I fell, doing my best to scoot away.

"You don't want to die, do you Kaia?" He asked, not facing me yet.

I looked at the back of his neck as he took his cape off to hang it carefully on the coat rack.

How was he going to act as if killing me was just like having casual brunch in the evening?

Still not turning to look at me, he ran his fingers across the surface of his sword, moving his other hand that grasped the handle to take a look at the blade at every angle.

He glanced at me through the clear metal of the weapon, "Answer me."

I shook my head. I was about to panic again, "I don't. I don't want to die! I don't w-"

Naven flipped the sword in his hand and pointed it at my neck, faster than I could see.

Of all else, why didn't this scare me? What happened to me panicking?

Did I suddenly forget about the sword aimed at my neck?

Was I dead?

No...

I could die any second though, yet...

I closed my eyes and smiled, and soft sprinkles began to sound on the roof.

Naven moved his sword away from me and walked to the window, ripping open the curtains from behind his desk.

It was gray outside...

It was raining.

"You do," Naven said suddenly and softly.

My body began to shake.
What happened? Why am I still alive?

I looked back at Naven and the shaking stopped. On my knees, I began to stare out the window.

"It's raining," we both said.

Naven turned to see me on my knees.

"Get up," we both said, in sync again.

"I remember..." I whispered.

"I remember!" I laughed as you said those words once more.

He was the one who killed that monster I so wished to be devoured by that day.

Though I looked so pleased, Naven couldn't look more unhappy.

"Do you know what this means, Kaia?"

"What? It's raining. Look. Jus-"

He walked and knelt down in front of me, my eyes level to his.

I wasn't so afraid of meeting his eyes anymore as I would have been minutes ago.

"You want to die," he said.

A lump started to form in my throat and before I could speak, he continued, "That brings you joy, and your joy brings rain."

I could hardly bother to even listen as I watched the raindrops slide down his window.

The lights started blinking before they turned off completely.

"Kaia...calm down."

I felt my anger begin to rise. Not this again.
Why couldn't I be happy without being told to do the opposite?

I breathed.

Time to pretend to be alright, yet again.

"I... I am sorry," a tear fell down my cheek and the rain stopped. I stared at that sword as the sun began to show again. All the lights blinking on.

It was so bright. So much brighter than my spirit. Why are people so dull?

I dared to grab the blade to end myself by my own hand. I was tired. Perhaps if I lost my life, the Earth could return to normal. Is that too big of a burden to carry? Too wide a concept to believe?

I reached for the sword, but Naven threw it to the other side of the room.

I screamed, "If I-"

"Don't say it. Just shut up."

"I-"

"Shut the hell up."

My eyes watered more, "Forgive me."

He sighed as he sat down on the floor facing me, leaning the back of his head on his desk, unbuttoning the first two buttons of his shirt.

I pursed my lips to keep from apologizing as he pulled off his distinctive green scarf, giving it to me. He often wore it and I didn't know why.

I looked up from my lap.

"You don't need to be forgiven, Kaia. You've done nothing wrong."

Such simple words from a scary man shouldn't have meant a thing to me, but it was all I needed to hear after all those years of running from my true feelings.

I was tired of hiding who I was for the sake of others... hating myself simply because others didn't love me...wanting to die to rid my sadness so that others could live in happiness...

And maybe the latter would have worked in everyone's favor, but...there was this one bothersome thing I needed to experience, and I needed a savior.

I smiled to myself, holding Naven's scarf.

"I just...want to touch the rain...just once."