Chapter 2: 𝑩𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆 "𝑾𝒆" 𝑾𝒆𝒓𝒆 "𝑾𝒆"

[Warnings ahead ⚠️: Mention of Abuse]

....a year ago and a half ago.

Hotter than daylight in the Sahara, I wished so much for it to rain.

I sighed and tied back my braids, "This hot ass sun is gonna melt me away."

I heard an obnoxious laugh to my left, "Well chocolate milk always tastes good," Cerelean winked as he dusted the windows. He was always so playful, even in times of suffering in heat like this.

I shook my head, holding in a snort, but that little enjoyment was soon interrupted.

"I believe soldiers that I told you to get back to work."

Cerelean stiffed his shoulders, "Gah! We're on it, we're on it."

I had memorized that demeaning voice.

That biting sting of annoyance matched with that feverishly attractive and sleepy tone...it could be no one other than the cold captain himself.

I managed to catch his eye as I was on my knees, squeezing out a towel from the bucket to scrub the floor again.

If I wouldn't have known any better, living in such a technology-deprived era really had me feeling like a slave. But, of course, it wasn't just me feeling this way. We all were lowly to him.

There had to be some kind of soft side to him though, right?

Two black boots immediately stormed towards me, and I suddenly had a flashback of the repetitive face-kicking that he had given one of his soldiers earlier for almost getting caught with the enemies due to recklessness. I flinched in response, "I-"

I prepared for the worst, but I received something different.

His boots stopped right below my eye level.

"Tch. One of your damned tears hit the floor."

I blinked and felt my cheek.

I was crying?

"I..." I tried to begin again, but he cut me off and knelt down in front of me, pulling out a handkerchief to wipe my cheek.

Definitely unexpected.

• • •

"Girl I thought he was going to end my life," I said with a mouth full of potato soup. At least I could say the food here is good. The chef here was the absolute best.

"Were you ready to try him?" Mia, one of my close friends asked seriously. She had pretty white hair and ice blue eyes. She thought her albinism to be a defect, but I believed she was beautiful.

I took the spoon out of my mouth slowly. "No...actually...I felt fear, and it came out of nowhere."

For once, Mia let out a full blown laugh, "Wait??! That goblin-"

"Yeah, yeah," I shrugged it off and looked down at my water. The reflection was blurry, as were my feelings.

That moment in the castle had left me confused.

Why did he do what he did to me?

•••

"Kaia!! Kaia!! Get up! They'll come for you!"

I looked up at my father, exhausted, "What?"

He grabbed my arm tightly, yanking me to the other side of the room.

It was so hot. I was so dizzy. I just wanted it to be all over!

Crash.

"You damn menace to all man kind!"

I fell silent.
What more could I do?
The broken glass rested beside my hip...the blood from my scratched leg trickling underneath it...I was dumbfounded.

A man-eating creature broke in through the house, draped in moonlight...stealing my father from sight.

They often showed themselves at night due to a curse that only I could cure, but I didn't know how. I hated myself for it.

What was this feeling though, as I watched him get pierced by sharp teeth into the monster's mouth, only to be devoured and dead...?

Was it happiness?

Because I smiled, yet it began to rain.

All I remember is reaching out so desperately to be swallowed as well, but a certain someone came to cut off the monster's head.

A sadness washed over me and the rain stopped.

The soldier, covered in blood, looked down at my disheveled figure with merciless eyes, "Get up. You're not giving up yet until I say so."

And with that...I woke up from my nightmare in tears, laughing in the madness I so wished to wipe from my mind.

The sun hitting my bronze skin so joyfully through the curtains. So bright, beautiful, and happy.

"Get me out of here," I whispered to no one... no one at all.