Chapter 5: Promises Past

Start from the beginning

"Done" he offers the dagger back to me.

I take the dagger, carving symbols around our initials. I complete the carving with an infinity sign. "There we go. Now we will always be together," I promise, brushing away the debris from the carving.

"But how?"

"When I lived with the druids, I learnt a small trick", I explain. "If you carve someone's initials into a tree or a stone and complete it with these symbols. It will mean the two people are always with each other in spirit. And that if they ever need one another, they will be able to find each other again."

"Really?" Tyrant excites, his red cheeks beaming.

"Really."

***

Morning comes after what feels like an eternity. I find I'm one of the last to rise from slumber as Arthur begins giving commands to all the knights and Merlin. I help pack up to get on the road as soon as we're able. The others saddle the horses and attach the bags in a blink of an eye. If we get moving, our destination should be within a few hours' distance.

At the head of the group, I begin to navigate to the best of my memory through the forests toward the border of Escetir. It feels strange coming back in this direction. I have often felt like I don't belong in this area anymore. It feels like I am a fake for coming in this direction. I am now an outsider. And they hate outsiders. The thought sends a chill down my spine.

"Why these castle ruins?" Arthur asks, riding alongside me. "What makes them the place for these festivities you speak of?"

"It's a place of the old religion, believed to be cursed with demons and dark magic. The normal folk don't venture there out of fear. But anyone who believes or practices in the faith knows it is all stories made up to keep any passersby away. It's well hidden and a perfect place for meeting."

"The Wolf?" Arthur questions.

I curse myself for saying too much. "The leader. Don't worry about him. He won't be there. Please don't bother asking questions about him. He's not our concern."

"You can't keep avoiding whatever you don't want to tell me when it comes to this man", Arthur offers. I don't miss the annoyance in Arthur's voice at my lack of compliance to speak. I can also hear the concern of the unknown, the possibilities of what may have happened to me in my past.

"I can. And I will," I retort. "Like I said yesterday. I'll only tell you what you need to know to get this stone back."

"Fine", Arthur sneers ", but just know-"

"I can tell you anything", I finish for Arthur, glancing back at my brother. "I know that. And I thank you for it. But please don't push that kind of information from me. I don't want to discuss it."

We ride in silence for a few minutes before Arthur finally speaks again. Thankfully he changes the subject from Ronon. "So what does Tyrant have to do with all this? You said he is on the bottom of their hierarchy. Why send him to retrieve such a powerful object?"

"I'd say it's a test."

"A test?"

"Yeah, like an initiation", I explain. "It's the way they weave out the weak from the loyal."

"This sounds like some kind of rebellious movement", Leon notes from behind us. The knight had caught up to us, choosing to leave the banner of the others behind.

"Of sorts. But we don't have to worry about that."

Arthur sighs at my words. Annoyed hearing the same thing over and over.