🩹Han Jisung - Silent Listeners

*Inspired by [SKZ - Record] Han - Alien

⊱ ──────── {⋅. ♪ .⋅} ──────── ⊰

The stars looked exceptionally pretty tonight, even though he couldn't see them. Jisung knew they are. That’s how they looked every other night he came by to witness their beauty in silence. Except not tonight, when he needed them most.

A spiteful stream of clouds hid the sight away from him, teasing barely a glimmer of even the moon through. He kicked at the grass with the heels of his sneakers, flopping onto the grass. His sore fingers tugged the edge of his beanie over his eyes as his throat choked back a sob.

A gust of wind sent goosebumps travelling across his bare arms, pitfully caressing the trails of tears stained on his cheeks. Stupid. His jaw chattered incessantly and his ears were already frozen over, but all he could care about was wishing the sky to revert to its usual self.

One eye peeked out to check once again, but what he'd thought was a star began to move across the sky in a line of blinking light. Just a plane. Suddenly he wished he were on it, closer to the stars who had always been there for him, tiny specks of light flecked across the night sky like a painting awaiting just for him.

It was here in the expanse of the clearing and the endless inked sky that he would, more often than admit, let his heart unravel bare. No other person or place could tend to the void in his heart the same way as when he poured himself to the stars. Silent, listening.

One limp hand lifted upwards, as if he wished to pull apart the coverage of clouds like drapes and let the stars shine freely. What would it be like to be one with them? To be one who appears a mere speck but in reality, is so much greater than one can comprehend from afar, yet still possess so much otherworldly charm.

Stars must never feel lonely.

How could they when they were surrounded by light-years worth of friends just like them? Is it out there that he would find what – or who – he’d been looking for? He didn’t know, and he might never know so long as he stayed on earth. Still, is there a place for him amongst them somewhere?

He shook his head with a fall of shaggy bangs. Better not to think that way. He wanted to be with the stars, yes, but more than that, more than he could comprehend that night. Was it because he was too premature to encompass these feelings. Again, he didn’t know, and it made the cavity in his heart ache the same way it did every time he fell and his fists closed around nothing to hold but himself.

Breathe. Once. Twice. Again.

And yes, he felt he could think again, though sometimes he wished he could shut his brain off. His eyelids fluttered open and he jolted up, rubbing his arms up and down.

A rustle to his right made him look, and when he turned back he spotted something lain next to him in folds and creases. His fingers fumbled around on the grass until they came in contact with wool – a blanket, soft and perfectly knitted for the weather.

He swept a glance around the area of the clearing but seldom found the familiar billowing trees and nightly grasshoppers. Except this time, it seemed they were whispering assurance, comfort instead of contempt. They were evidence that just for a moment, he had not been alone. Someone other than the stars had borne witness to his cry of help, and returned some to him.

Lavender. It smelled of forgotten wisps of lavender as he held it up to his nose and draped it around his shoulders. He smiled.

And so once again, it would have to be the stars he couldn't see which he relied on, to relay this message to you, whoever left him this fragment of comfort to him on this cold, lonely night.