family doesn't end with blood [richard]

prompts: 

>''you only got one family'' 

>''yeah and you only got one appendix too but when it fucks with your health you cut that bitch out of your life''

summary: you have always had problems with your family, but going so far as to try and break up your relationship with Rich is too far.

characters: Richard Speight Jr, (mentioned) Misha Collins, (mentioned) Mark Pellegrino

warnings: angst, fighting, fluff

To say I've had a tough upbringing from my family, it would be an understatement. Wanting to be an actor and standing up for myself was a turning point in my teenage years, I tried to run away, but my mum would always find a way to guilt me into coming back. I'd given them many to chances to treat me like a person, I guess I just hoped one day they would use it. Today for example, I'm giving them one last opportunity to make it right, by introducing them to Rich. We've been together for so many years now, why not give them something to be proud of me for, such as upkeeping a relationship.

The drive to my mum's house was emotional, many reassurances from both ends and nervous ticking.

So we're sat here, in the front of the car, waiting. Thinking of an opening line, something that won't completely set things off. 

''I think we should go in.'' I bite my nails, my eyes are torn away from the front of the house to look at Rich, he nods.

''Okay, I don't mind however long you need, or if you just want to go back.'' He shrugs to me, he knows the stories and the tales of how spiteful my family are.

''If it ends up like it always does, this is it. For good.'' I say, mumbling a 'let's go' before opening the door, Rich follows.

Although I'm not raking my nails between my teeth, I pick them between each other, scratching at my fingertips. Knocking on the door, I take a deep breath, a comforting hand rests on my shoulder, I relax into his side a little.

The door opens, it feels like the longest two seconds of my life.

''Y/n, welcome home. And you brought...?'' She eyes Rich up and down in a judging manner, raising her eyebrows as if to say 'oh for fuck's sake'.

''This is Rich, we've been together for around three years now. Whether you like it or not, get to know him.'' I keep a sturdy attitude toward her as she smiles with the most pathetic acceptance.

''I think you had better come in.'' She steps aside, granting us entrance. We follow her into the living room as I shut the door behind us.

''How long did you say, again?'' My mum holds her hand onto her hip, her loosely hanging paisley blouse hung off her, like a lifeless mannequin. 

''Three years, going strong.'' Rich attempts to create banter between us, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

''And no engagement ring? Poor choice my dear.'' This sets me off a little bit.

''Mother, don't be that way. Taking things slow is the key to a happy relationship, not that you'd know that, you wasted no time.'' I rolled my eyes, sauntering to the kitchen and grabbing a couple drinks.

''Do not speak to me like that-'' I cut her off, I know what's coming.

''Yeah you're my mother, I know.'' I imitate her in a snarky remark.

''How old is he?'' I take a breath, before turning to face her.

''Does it matter, whatever I say, you'll find a problem with.'' I speak, nonchalantly.