Chapter 3 - It's Been a While Since I've Felt Something

I frown at the boy in front of me with his big smile. We're almost to UA already and I guess we simply ran into each other my coincidence... Right?

I quickly pretend I didn't see him and continue walking.

"Oh- uh... Is that a yes errr...?" He just begins trailing after me when I don't answer.

Just ignore him and everything should be fine. It was just a coincidence.

'No on would ever wanna be friends with you.'

My eyes drift to the ground. Why has that sentence been popping up in my head more often? It's not like I want any friends. I'm fine on my own.

I jump when Midoriya suddenly pops up beside me instead of being behind me. I glare at him. "What're you doing?"

"Oh I... Is it okay if I walk with you? I mean, we're going to the same place so I thought it wouldn't be a big deal. It's okay if you want me to walk behind you, though." He says quickly, raising his arms and shaking his hands at me.

I just roll my eyes and continue walking. What a pain.

But even then, the boy drifts behind me and gives me space. I sigh, clench my bag strap, and slow down so I eventually reach his side again. He looks at me. "So you do want me to walk with you?" I give him a glare and he jumps. "Sorry. I forgot you don't like questions."

We continue to walk in silence. All we hear are the sounds of the city and our own footsteps. Not a word passes between us, although, when I glance at the green-haired boy beside me, he looks like he's looking for words.

I sigh. "Why'd you wanna walk with me?" My mumble is quiet, but he hears it.

"Huh? Oh I just-"

"Was it out of pity?" I snap.

"N-no it's not that. I just wanted to, that's all." He says nervously.

"Tch. You wanted to?"

'No on would ever want to be your friend.'

He chuckles. "Yeah... You just seem like an interesting person, so I thought I might... Y'know... Get to know you."

'Those other kids want nothing to do with you. They're your enemy.'

I frown at the ground. "Well..."

'Stay away from us, freak.'

".... You don't have to be friends with me, Midoriya. I don't need a friend. I'm just fine on my own." I say to him, bitterness slipping into my voice.

"Huh? L/N... I'm not doing this out of pity. I actually do wanna get to know you." His eyes are full of sympathy. It kinda scares me how someone can be this kind to me.

'They lie to you.'

My eyes widen.

'It's a lie.'

"No. Stay away from me. I said I don't need you. Or anybody." I speed up my steps and leave the boy behind to stare after me.

'You live a lie.'

***

Izuku's POV

There. It's that look again. Why is there so much pain in her eyes? She's suffering. I pause as she just walks away from me. Her H/L H/C hair flows in the breeze. I look down my my hand before walking again.

The way she walks... It's drained of purpose. The way she just walks past everything without a glance. Has she ever had a friend? Why must she force herself into loneliness?