Chapter 11

You and Hotch leave the house as quickly as possible. You have no choice but to take your car as his is still at headquarters. You stop by your apartment quickly to grab your go-bag while Hotch calls the team to inform them.

You make it to work in record time, both of you quickly making your way inside. When you go up to the office together you realize that you're the first ones there. You begin organizing the things on your desk as the team shows up one by one.

Before you know it, you're all in the conference room at the circular table. You take a seat between Penelope and Emily.

"Lilly Anne Miller was abducted from a park in Doylestown, Pennsylvania late yesterday evening" JJ begins "she's six years old. Her father went with her to a local park at around 6 PM."

"Did the father see anything?" You ask.

"No, he claimed they were playing hide and seek. He called the cops after he couldn't find her." Hotch responds. You notice he avoids looking at you.

"She must be a heck of a player" Rossi breathes "have they ruled out the father?"

"Almost 50% of all child abduction cases are carried out by family members" Reid adds.

"The police suspected the father and have since ruled him out. That's why it took so long for them to contact us." JJ states.

"It's already been over 13 hours" Emily sighs.

"Our chances of finding her alive anywhere after 24 hours are incredibly slim." Reid points out.

"Then we'd better get there as soon as we can" Hotch states. The team nods in agreement. You grab your things off your desks and make your way to the jet.

You put your things away and sit down next to JJ, across from Hotch. You do your best not to let him distract you from the case, although his peering eyes make that difficult.

"Y/n, you're the resident expert on crimes against children. Tell us what you know" Hotch prompts you.

"Child abduction cases are actually relatively rare in the United States" you begin, spouting off as much information off the top of your head as you could remember. You weren't Reid by any means, but you did your best to recall the most important information. "Seeing as almost 91% of missing children have run away by themselves."

"The report said the girl's left foot was slightly clubbed. She could hardly walk. The chances of her running away are pretty slim." Rossi places an open case file on the table in front of you, pointing at it. Sure enough, her hospital records confirmed his point.

"Why would the father take her out to the park and play hide and seek if she could hardly walk by herself?" Emily asks. She stands behind JJ's seat, resting her elbows on her seat and holding a cup of coffee.

"Perhaps trying to give her a sense of normalcy in her childhood" Hotch suggests.

"Oftentimes parents of disabled children project their anxieties about childhood development by making their child complete difficult tasks." You explain.

"She's right" Spencer backs up "oftentimes they make them complete tasks that are difficult with the disability just to prove to themselves that their child is functional."

"So y/n, if this girl didn't run away, what else could've happened to her?" Derek asks.

"Well, another 5% are done by families in custody battles. Since the police ruled them out, that leaves us with the other 4%. Abduction by complete strangers is only a fraction of a percentage. More than likely, this was done by someone she knows. Maybe a neighbor, an acquaintance."