Chapter 37

⚠️content warning: smutty smut⚠️

You collapse on your couch immediately after locking your apartment door. After a short but quiet ride home, Aaron had walked you to your door, put your bag down inside, and kissed you gently before leaving.

You had both decided not to speak about Katie. Whether or not she had bought your impromptu lie or why she even wanted to talk to him in the first place. He was tender as always but clearly hiding something.

You couldn't blame him, really; you were too.

You fall asleep before you can think about it too much, your limbs sprawled out in a manner that would give you several cricks when you wake up. The events of the past few days had made your exhaustion ache bone-deep, and you couldn't fight the urge to sleep any longer.

When you did wake, your hair was tossed and the sky was much lighter than it was when you fell asleep. When you glance up towards the kitchen, the microwave reads 5 o'clock. You'd managed to sleep the whole day away.

You get up and massage your aching muscles, and a far of voice in your head expresses its desire for Aaron to be there with you, using his strong hands to work out the tension in your shoulders. You can picture his fingers pressing into your flesh, calloused palms running over your bare skin...

You shake your head before the thoughts can progress past that. The idea of him, while comforting, reminded you of the issues with Katie. You couldn't dwell on that too long, or you felt that the pit in your stomach would swallow you up. So instead, you looked around for something to keep you busy.

That didn't take too long. You hadn't been home in several days, and there was plenty of housekeeping that needed attending.

You're able to busy yourself for a few hours with general chores; dusting, laundry, vacuuming, and the like. Eventually, while collecting laundry, you dump your Go-bag out on the counter to sort through it and repack it.

After some chores, you shimmy out of your pants to get changed into something more comfortable, but you're stopped when you feel a bulge in your pocket.

Reaching in, you pull out Aaron's tie, which you had almost forgotten about. It was still stained with your spit where he had shoved it in your mouth. It was also crumpled from where it had rested in your pocket when you took it off of him after he had been...choked?

You shook your head in disbelief of yourself. How had you forgotten about that? You had promised yourself you would check on him and make sure he took proper care of the wound. God knew he would pay mind to everyone but himself and his own health would suffer.

Acting on your concerned impulses, you pull out your phone and dial his number before you're even sure what to say. He picks up after only two rings. Typical.

"Hotchner," he says with his typical gruff unit-chief voice. You almost laugh at the realization that he didn't check the caller I.D.

"This is the Italian mafia speaking. We have your girlfriend. If you want her back, we require $10,000 in cash and a yacht with a full lobster bar by morning." You hear him chuckle on the other line, immediately recognizing your voice. Despite your worries, he always seems to put you in some sort of hazy ease, as if everything's right in the world.

"You can keep her. I give you an hour before you're begging me to take her back."

"Oh, you dick!" You exclaim, "I am not that bad!"

"See, they released you already!" He says, a playful edge to his tone.

"Oh, you're such an asshole, Aaron." You roll your eyes but can't suppress the grin on your face when he chuckles again.