69 - Accusations

Deku POV (mentions of murder)

"I'm sorry, why am I here? Does this have anything to do with All Might?" I tried to keep my composure, but the way two police officers and teachers stared me down was kinda intimidating. I'm not gonna lie.

The officer to my right had short dark hair. He shook his head slowly and rested his chin on his hand.

"Look, I just wanted to ask you some questions. Is that alright?" He lifted his chin, smiling gently at me. Somehow it rubbed me the wrong way.

"Yes." I mumbled. Maybe they meant to soothe me or put me in a calm environment during this, but everyone was staring me down, and it felt threatening.

I questioned their reasons. It was something to do with All Might, right?  Maybe they investigated the fire some more. I was told at the beginning that it was a complete accident, a stove or furnace malfunctioned and caused a fire. It crossed my mind that someone was aiming specifically to hurt All Might, but I didn't pursue it further based on their evidence and my own grieving and exhaustion.

"Just to be certain, your father's name is Hisashi Midoriya?"

What...?

"Yeah." I said simply, staring at the ground.

"Were him and your mother split up when she died?" He continued.

I flicked my tongue against the top of my mouth, making a clicking sound. I did that a couple of times, trying to form the words in my brain. 

"No. They've been divorced since I was five, give or take." I shrugged.

"Ah, yes." He nodded. It seemed like he knew about it, but was testing me. "Did you two stay in contact, did he visit often?"

"He disappeared." I admitted. I should have relaxed more as I answered, but ai couldn't help but think something was wrong. "He never came back to visit."

I remembered last second that it wasn't completely true.

"It might be tough to hear, but he was found to have come back to town."

Shit. I stayed silent, but felt my eyes go wide as I looked up.

"He's been here for about seven months, and was found to have been staying in a motel on the edge of town." He explained. Nezu was staying quiet, sitting at his desk. It appeared that he was just there so they could use his office, not to actually give input. Same with Mr. Aizawa.

Hisashi stuck around? I thought he would have left? I mean, he didn't visit or say a word. Why would he stay?

"Well, I should probably say he was." The other one was still sitting in silence. "It might be tough to hear, what with the loss of your mother, but Hisashi was found dead."

He paused a moment to let me speak, or process. He might have expected me to cry.

I didn't. That was my mistake.

"Damn..." I muttered. "Are you serious?"

The thing was, I only felt kind of sick. I should have felt sad that my remaining living parent was dead, but I just didn't, and I couldn't pretend to. A little part of me felt upset, kind of angry at the world. At least he was my biological dad, though his actions cause it to count for shit. I can't say I'm happy he's dead, though.

The officer stiffened and sat up straighter at my words. "Aren't you upset about this?"

"No." I said without thinking. I then quickly shook my head, trying to counteract it. "Oh! I'm sorry, what I mean to say is that I'm not, um, miserable, but I am upset."