10. Torture and a Worried Husband

Start from the beginning

"What?"

"You could have called me for an update. So why are you really here with your twins?"

"Nothin', I just, uh... My mom, their grandmother. She died last night."

"Shit. Diego, I'm so sorry. I remember how close you were. Is there anything I can-"

"I just -- I don't... I don't know how to..."

"Is that what this is about? Hey. Hey. Tell me what's going on. Who did this?"

"Let's just say I didn't get a good look at their faces."

"You went after the guys in the masks, didn't you?"

"I didn't go after them. I have two four-year-olds to watch. And one's a woman... by the way, so stop being so sexist."

"I specifically told you not to follow them."

"No, they came to my house, looking for my brother. They tried to kill my family. My wife, my son and daughter's mother, is missing, which can't be coincidence."

"Why?"

"I don't know. He's been missing since yesterday. So has Gwen. I need to find him. I need to find her. I-I can't lose her."

"Diego, you need to let me handle this. You're not equipped-"

"Oh, you always loved tellin' me what I can and can't do."

"You know, maybe, for once, just try things my way."

"I can't. Not with Gwen missing. I owe it to the twins to find her." He smiled at his twins who had started chasing each other through the yard.

"No wonder we didn't last."

"Yep."

"I'm sorry about your mom, Diego. Really, I am."

Diego pursed his lips. He would get his wife back, whatever it took.

"Liam, Layla," Diego called. "Let's go."

The twins followed after their father and Liam closed his eyes, seeing something in his head.

"Daddy, Mommy's in trouble!"

"Right now?" Diego asked as his voice wavered.

"Yeah, but it'll get bad. I don't want Mommy to leave me like Todd left me!"

Diego scooped up his son. "We'll rescue Mommy, Liam. I promise."

Diego, with the twins in tow, made his way to the academy and found Luther.

"What are you doing here?" Diego demanded.

"Uh..." Luther began as he stood. "Do you know about Mom?"

"Well, it looks like you got what you wanted, one way or another, right?"

Luther glanced at Pogo before turning back to Diego and asking, "Wanna tell me what you're doing here?"

"Looking for Five."

"Let me guess, you're gonna save the day."

"It's what I do. Asshole." He started leaving, Layla still in his arms and Liam following behind.

"Really? Last I checked, you mopped floors."

Layla narrowed her eyes. "Daddy makes cleaning fun!"

Diego smiled slightly and turned to his brother. "And what do you do? Sit on the moon for four years, waiting for orders?"

"Boys," Pogo warned. "This won't help us find Five. Or Mistress Guinevere."

"Keep on being a loyal soldier after everything our father did to you."

"What?" Luther shot back. "You mean save my life?"

Diego leaned against the doorframe. "No, I mean... turn you into a monster." Luther punched the wall near his brother, causing the twins to scream and Pogo sighed. "Can't hide it anymore, champ."

"He had a difficult decision to make, and he made it."

"Grow up, Luther. We're not 13 anymore."

"That's what leaders do, by the way."

"He sent you on that mission all alone. Almost got you killed."

"Yeah, well at least he was there. Where were you? You and everyone else in this family? You walked out."

"And thank Christ that I did, or I would have ended up just like you. Let me ask you a question. When you watch one of these nature shows..."

"Diego, please," Pogo warned, seeing the twins' wide eyes and not wanting a fight to break out.

"...does it turn you on?"

"So what?" Luther retorted. "Is he just an animal to you, too now, Diego, huh?"

"Don't."

"Enough!" Pogo yelled. "This house was attacked. We barely got out with our lives. And Grace... she wasn't so lucky. Your brother and Diego's wife are missing, and this is how you rise to the occasion? Take your nonsense elsewhere. Now."

"Sorry, Pogo," Diego apologized.

"Yeah, sorry, Pogo," Luther said.

The two men and the twins left the room.