Chapter 17 : A truce?

Start from the beginning

“Is she always this way?”

“No…usually, I’m in charge of exaggeration. She must be really ticked off about the whole thing to react like that…” I narrowed my eyes suspiciously at him. “…speaking of which – is this what you meant by having it covered??”

“Well…” he said sheepishly. “I found out where she worked and took note of the internship program.” He grinned. “Naturally, I signed on.”

I stared at him and scoffed in disbelief. “You expect me to believe that? You sure you didn’t get the idea after I told you about Sejoon sunbae?”

“Of course NOT.” He shot me an offended look.

“Hmmm…”

“But I do appreciate your info…it gave me a heads up on how to deal with Sejoon.” He started laughing. “Oh god, you should have seen his face when I turned up!”

He thought this was funny? Didn’t he know that now I had to deal with Tae-ra’s ire? I couldn’t help but shoot back. “Maybe this would give you a chance to rekindle your bromance with Sejoon sunbae.”

My statement hit its mark. Tae hyung’s laughter stopped abruptly and he scowled. “Don’t make any assumptions. You don’t know my past.”

I took a step back in surprise. “Whoa – your defensive attitude is so similar to Jung Kook…”

Jung Kook.

Wow…saying his name aloud made me realise that I kind of miss him – but what am I thinking? He wanted nothing to do with me right? Missing him was the last thing I should be doing.

A shadow crossed Tae hyung’s face and he released a sigh. “Sorry…but that is a sore topic for me. Let’s talk about something else, shall we? Like Jung Kook?” he grinned mischievously.

Huh. Well at least he apologized…unlike someone. “My sister wouldn’t be happy to still find you here when she comes out…,” I glanced at her room door hesitantly. “…What about Jung Kook?”

“Aha!” he smiled and sat down comfortably on the couch. “I knew you’d be interested.”

Not wanting to admit that I was dying for some news from the outside world – especially concerning Jung Kook – I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. “I’m not interested…just curious.”

Curious?” Tae hyung blinked at a memory. “That term is soooo familiar…” he mused to himself.

“I’m sorry, what?” I leaned slightly forward to hear him.

“Uh…nothing,” he waved away my question.

There he goes again. Talking to himself and keeping things from me. Suppressing a groan, I shot him a glare. “Your secrecy is downright annoying, you know that?”

“Haha.” He said without humour. “I bet Jung Kook is worse…”

“Ugh, ok fine. Whatever. What were you saying earlier about Jung Kook?” I waited for his response but he suddenly busied himself with his phone.

“Ehem!” I said loudly. “Are you going to tell me or not?...Or is this one of your tactics to remain here until my sister comes back out?” I threw a pillow at him to get his attention.

He ducked the pillow and resumed his easy position. “Let’s just say both.”

A thought occurred to me and I gave him a suspicious look. “Hey, wait a minute. Jung Kook doesn’t want anything to do with me anymore – so why are you still trying to keep up with this distraction plan? Do you have a hidden agenda??”