14- An Awkward Exchange

It's been a few days since the Egg Festival. Since then, I've been doing my farmer thang. Harvesting, planting, replanting, watering, fertilizing, the usual. My chickens are still little, and during the day, Dust likes to chase them around. I've kept mostly to myself, on occasion visiting Marnie or Robin. I've spent a lot of time fishing with Willy or chatting with Pierre.

I learned what the Junimos wanted; they want me to fill up the bundles with crops and foraging things. I've been working hard on it, and I've been making some good progress.

Harvey took out my stitches; I was so nervous to see him again that I debated leaving them in my face with Sam. Eventually he convinced me to go, and Harvey didn't say anything remotely flirty. In fact, he was so flustered that I was nervous to even let him pry at my face. I was scared he would poke me. He didn't, though. He took them out quickly, offered me a smile and a little arm squeeze, and sent me on my way. I think when he flirted with me it wasn't meant to be flirting, and instead, maybe he was just trying to be serious. He's awkward. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try to become friends.

Today, I didn't wake up to the sound of my rooster crowing, and instead, to a clash of thunder. I knew it was coming; I saw it on the television yesterday.

At least I don't need to water my plants.

Getting up, I put on a clean pair of jeans and a sweater. The chill of the outside rain makes my cabin cold, and I shiver. I put on my rain jacket and check the television; it's going to storm again tomorrow. Sliding on my boots, I head outside.

All of my crops are growing nicely, so I head over to the chicken coop. The door creaks open. Chickens 1 and 2 snuggle close to each other, and I smile. I replace their hay and they cluck and go to it.

I go back outside. The sky is dark, and I think.

Maybe it would be worth it to go back to the mines.

But should I? I just got my stitches out. How quick should I jump back into danger?

I sigh. The television said today is lucky. I'm sure I'll be fine.

I trek slowly and sloshily up to the mines, and with hesitation, press the button that says 5 on the elevator. Once I reach floor 5, the familiar glow of the lantern makes me nervous, but I quickly make my way to the second floor. There's no monsters here.

I break some rocks, and quickly, come across a weird hard circle. A geode...? I stick it into my backpack.

After a little while longer, I gathered several pieces of iron and a bunch of coal and stones. Alongside that, a few geodes.

Deciding that that was enough mining for me today, I take the elevator back up to the top, and make my way out. I'll go to town, then, and see if I can get Clint to open the geodes for me.

As I do, I hear a door close. I watch quietly. Sebastian appears, not noticing me, and my heart stops. Where's he going? I didn't think he came out during the day?

At an even pace, I see him walk towards town. There appears to be a faint smile on his face. It's nice. The rain slowly weighs down his hair and flattens it against his head.

I don't want him to think I'm following him, so I let him get a head start to town. After a minute, I continue forward.

I pass the community center and cross a bridge. There's a JojaMart. Sebastian's no longer in my sight of vision, so I pick up my pace, and push open the door to the JojaMart.

The blue of the interior makes me cringe, remembering my old job. There's a man sitting in a desk close to the front of the store, but he is doing something behind the desk and doesn't notice me at first. In the back, I faintly see a bit of purplish dark hair-- Shane?