"Thanks," I loosened the tie to eat but on second thoughts, "Margaux I don't like the tie I'll leave it behind."

"I'll put it in your room then." Margaux nodded and took it.

~~~

Living on the outskirts of Paris has a stinging disadvantage. The drive to town takes an entire millennium.

But don't get me wrong, it has its perks too. For starters, the view of Paris at midnight from the rooftop is to die for, the busyness of town on weekend nights never reaches the outskirts. I enjoy the peace and quiet mostly on weekends my masseuse comes in, after the massage on Saturday, Sunday I sleep in. That is the precise order of events.

Although, the drive isn't bad at night, I prefer it then. When coming back, the air conditioning is turned off and windows wound down for the breeze to brush on my face as we zoom off. While I watched all that went down on the streets. The night performers for passers-by to give some money to; like the dancers, the magicians with backup dancers at amateur hours, slow jazz bands, and some stray dogs running around. Sometimes just the buildings passing by in a blur.

The car came to a stop. I stepped out and entered the elevator from the underground parking lot.

The elevator stopped at the heart of the building, indistinct chattering of people either talking to one another or on the phone made the place rowdy. Everyone instantly stopped what they were doing and started rearranging as they noticed my presence.

With elegance and grace I strutted slowly to the other elevator that led straight to my office. I kept my head high and didn't listen to the empty 'good morning boss' that came from every person I passed by.

I could have engaged in the mindless chatter and addressed the hateful glances I was thrown by my staff, but as long as their works were productive, what they decided to do with their face was not my concern.

Although, I've never expected less. For with that elegance came the prominent stench of money and grace the pride of a peacock. Of which attracted things like envy and the rest.

I noticed a long time ago that I wasn't liked by most of staff. I never stressed over it to pinpoint whether it was because they feel I work them too hard, I fire them too easily or just resentment. But I have a hunch it might be all.

I stayed silent for few minutes to catch my breath, staring into the vast space I called my office. It was no sight to behold, no bouquet of flowers or framed photos to show possession. It was as plain as could be, with large couch at one end, a larger plant the corner and me and my glass desk in the middle. Like I said; as plain as could be.

I sighed and rubbed my temple before I rang for Landre, my assistant and second in command.

As I dropped the receiver he came in. "Good morning Madame, I did not see you pass by." Landre was that one of my staff that had my medicine in his hand, we were together from the early of this business and he held his shares.

In as much as Landre knew how to maintain my issues, he never disrespected the privileged.

"Morning Landre, what is my today going to be like?" I greeted.

"Okay. So, there are some paperwork you have to run through, the company budget for the month needs to be balanced, address the new employees, and meeting with travel airline agents at 6 pm."

"New employees?" I asked and rubbed my chin.

"Yes, we are short on staff so Ruff would be taking interviews today." Landre nodded.

"Vacancy in what sector of the company and how many do you intend employing?" I wonder how much we could be lacking.

Landre looked at the iPad in his hand before replying. "We are short on estate agents and sports agents, and are looking to employ three."

I thought for a second then countered. "Things will change, send those papers home I'll go through them and send back tomorrow. I will be conducting the interviews myself."

"But ma'am Ruff usually...." Landre protested.

"No buts Landre. We can't afford a repeat of last time's incident, I'll do it myself. Bring in the first person immediately."

Ruff Peterson, an English man is the one responsible for new employments but who knew that such jobs at times were even more tasking and confusing than most.

Ruff had mixed up the case files of the group of persons we invited for an interview last time and didn't even know who was for what. Now, imagine the kind of complication when a person is here for one kind of job with the required specifications and is being reprimanded for another kind.

After that, Ruff was suspended for a month, could have been less but what the heck!

"Yes, Madame." Landre obliged.

He left and came back minutes later accompanied by a young, blonde and white lady. By the face she appears to be in her early twenties by body mid-thirties.

"This is Madame Carson, she will be interviewing you," Landre introduced.

I opened my mouth to talk but she cut me short. "Are you kidding me?! Of course, I know who she is. I won't come for an interview without knowing my boss! It is an honor to meet you." She stretched out her hand for a handshake and I accepted.

"Sorry, bad conduct. Good morning Madame, my name is Harvey. Tracy Harvey."

Arrogance is another lesson I was taught; being an elite socialite. They never said 'be arrogant' but; show class, you are above your mates, behave like the diva you are, say your name proudly because it means something. 'I'm Bond, James Bond', those are different ways to pass the same message. Seeing her call her surname like that without a trace of arrogance sounded foreign to my ears.

"Ellen Carson." I turned to Landre, "give me her file and that will be all for now."

Turning back to Tracy I started, "Have a seat and tell me more about yourself."

The interview went on for what seemed to me an hour, with her talking more. That's how the rest went and ended with: "We will get back to you, thank you."

At the end of it all, I called in Landre and concluded with him.

"And Landre, reschedule my meeting to 1 pm please," I told him.

"Okay."

WAIT...STOP...VOTE. Don't forget to hit that star button if the chapter deserved it and comment if any suggestions.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.