22

Ella -

We've been home for a few hours now. No one has really said anything, we all just went home to our respective houses.

My father looked exhausted and regardless of how happy he was he's still slightly upset at the situation that occurred the night before.

He gently kissed my forehead, mumbling a 'goodnight' as he moved his way up the stairs to his bedroom, shutting the door as he did.

Instinctively I reached for my phone but when I went to dig into my pocket I came out empty. I sighed as I probably wouldn't be getting that back until school started again, so I made the decision to move upstairs as I was in desperate need of a shower.

I could feel the salt sticking to my skin, making me itch all over. I basically ran into my shower, taking a long hard look before making the decision to twist the knob and let the water flow.

I let it heat up, scared of what may happen, I wandered into my fathers room. My eyes darting to  him as he is laying face up to stare aimlessly at the ceiling.

"Dad."

He was startled at the sound of my voice, sitting up slowly.

"You ok El?" His voice was full of concern, his eyes scanning mine.

"Yea, um I'm sorry, I just wanted to let you know I was going to shower."

My eyes were turned away from him to face the floor, fiddling with my fingers. Not really paying attention to my father who was moving towards me.

"You didn't do anything wrong." He let out a light laugh. "You ok?"

His hands came to meet my shoulders, squeezing onto them tightly.

"Mhm, I just. Ya know just in case?" My statement came out more like a question. His face peeking up with concern yet slight amusement, slight being the keyword.

"Ella, your ok. I'll keep an ear out ok? I would never let anything happen to you again."

I nodded at his statement, turning away to head back into my room, making a b-line to the shower. Slowly stripping off the layers of clothing, most of which Uncle Ash bought at the small shop at the edge of the boardwalk.

I stepped into the shower, letting the warm water hit my skin, the steam engulfing me. I wasn't weak, in fact I felt better than I have in a while but I let my body slowly be lowered to the floor, letting the steaming water bounce off my skin.

I watched the water bounce of the skin of my arms and legs, holding my knees against my chest. My breath had finally steadied, looking up at the shower head until a sudden boom made my jump, causing me to turn the water off.

I quickly grabbed a towel, wrapping around myself in attempt to dry quickly. I could hear muffled voices but I wasn't sure who in the world it may be. I quickly slipped on a pair of shorts along with one of my fathers old hoodies, before making my way out of the steamy bathroom.

I could hear my father laughing at something the unidentifiable person said. I am now moving my way down the stairs, trying to make out who the person was sitting on my sofa. The persons back was facing me, laughing along with my father.

It was a woman's laugh. Who was the woman? Why was there a woman here? What?

I am now at the bottom of the stairs, trying to be discrete. That was until duke started barking at me like he doesn't live with me everyday. Both the woman and my father turned their attention towards me.

"My baby Mali!"

My eyes shoot up and my energy is now built back up as I run to the woman's arms.