chapter 3

"Why did you usher Phil away? And why are you being so nice?" He stops in the door way and his ears rise as he smiles, he turns back to me and leans against the door.

"Everyone is worthy of kindness, I know you're different and don't go thinking I haven't seen you play with the fabric on your wrist or the subtle change in eye colour when you get nervous" I stare down the fabric slightly embarrassed at how easy I am to read, clearly he's older than he looks and is good at reading people "and as for philza" he continues with a sigh, "he hasn't been the same since his son died" I look up at him and he has a look of despair painted across his face.

"How did it happen?" I ask carefully, he smiles a little but it's laced with sadness and pain.

"He killed him" he states "his son begged him too after going insane and blowing up the town" I take a moment and glance out the window noticing phil talking to someone I didn't know. I turn back to Eret and he smiles and closes the door with no further comments.

I changed from my tattered dress and use the washroom provided for me to clean myself up.

I open the closet and countless dresses are hung from silk hangers. I ignore all of them for now and grab a pair of black high trousers and a white shirt, I put my corset over the top and grab the black hood and tie it around my shoulders, I notice a pair of boots and lace them on instead of the countless shoes fit for a princess.

I sit on the chest at the end of the bed and pull out the paper that punz had given to me back at the inn, Thinking it's something I should ask Eret about.

I stand quickly and make my way out. I open the door but I'm greeted with a face I've never seen.

"Sorry! I didn't mean to startle you" I keep my gaze fixed on him, or i guess the wall behind him.

He's taller than me but fairly obviously not living, he seems to be wearing dark trousers and white shirt with a long brown coat that goes all the way down to his knees.

"Uhm- its fine" I stutter and he smirks at me. He steps out of the way and I notice something in his hand but don't press.

"I'm will" he chimes and holds out a hand with a bright smile, then all too quickly it falters and he pulls his hand back, "silly me, I'm a ghost you can't shake my hand" he says with a forced laugh.

He walks with me as I try and find my way to the throne room, walking down long decorated corridors and through large rooms probably used to host guests.

"Hey will, do you know where Eret is by chance?" He stares at me blankly for a moment and then a large smile paints his face and he nods.

He leads me down a few corridors and we come to the hall that leads to the throne room, I slow my pace and will looks at me.

"He's just through those doors" he smiles and I nod and take off towards them. Nikita opens the doors for me and I walk in.

He immediately stands from his throne and walks towards me while eyeing what I chose to wear, he smiles and nods his head approvingly.

"Everything okay?" He asks after noticing my determined look and I pull out the paper and show it to him. He examines it and chuckles slightly at the handwriting.

"Classic punz" he mumbles and snaps his head back to me, "I know someone who will know what that spell is for, I'll get someone to get it to him" I nod my head and he slips the paper into his pocket with almost a proud smile and sighs, "I recommend you explore the town and get to know the people here" I nod and after a moment we both turn and leave in opposite directions.

I feel my nerves slowly lift, as I walk out the doors. will manages to catch me before I leave the castle and tries to say something but becomes too nervous. He hands me something and its a small blue stone.

"Would you give this to my brother, tommy, he hasn't seen me in a while and I'd really appreciate it" I take the small gem and hold it firmly in my hand, he smiles weakly at me and thanks me over and over again.

"I'll get this to him, I promise" he smiles and relaxes slightly.

My gaze shifts to the corridor behind him and notice another ghost, he has horns that wrap around like a ram and is in a tailored suit with a cigar between two fingers.

He notices me staring and its when I get a better look, he looks familiar.

He stands from the wall and takes a step towards me and that's when I make my way out of the castle and to the market place to escape the past was making his way towards me.

I walk around for a little while trying to come up with excuse that i was crazy or hallucinating him, but something felt off about the situation.

After a while of walking around I notice tommy and Toby sitting on bench overlooking a hill with the rest of village below them

"Hey tommy!" I yell and he turns around and I motion for him to come over to me. He exchanges a look with toby and makes his way over with caution.

"If this is about earlier, I'm really sorry" he fiddles with his hands and looks down to the floor.

I shake my head and reassure him that it was okay while reaching into my pocket and pulling out the little blue gem will gave me.

I presented the small gem to him and his expression lifted a little bit and his smile grew as he hesitantly took the stone from my palm.

"Your brother asked me to give it to you" his eyes welled with tears and in a second his arms were around my waist and tears were streaming down his face.

"If you see him again" he starts pulling away and holding in tears, "could you tell him I miss him, and I'm still looking for a way to bring him back" I nod and ruffle his hair.

He spins around to go back to toby who was waiting patiently for him on the bench. He gets half way there before turning back to me.

"Thank you" he smiles.

I take off down the hill and find a quiet place to sit, by the side of a river. I fiddle with the grass below me and get lost in thoughts and random memories.

"Who are you?"