Chapter Nine: Skinship

June and July 2012

The real work began as they started to work all together for the first time. The songs they worked on, mostly written by Yoongi, Namjoon and Hoseok, became more detailed and robust. Dance routines were worked on.. They developed a separateness from the other trainees, always finding the seven of them together as their matchless work ethic drove their development. After a few weeks of living and working together, Namjoon called them together one day at breakfast.

"Okay Bang PD is coming in to talk to us today, guys! He thinks we are ready to start performing together, I think." The boys all looked around at each other in excitement. Jimin's heart jumped, especially when Jungkook's huge smiley face met his eyes.

That day as they worked in the dance studio, they were indeed greeted by Bang PD. He took them off guard, walking in as they all sat on the floor, drinking water and panting in the middle of the dance they had been working on. They all jumped breathlessly to their feet to bow to Bang-Shi.

"Boys, how is everything? How are you enjoying working together?"

Jimin nodded breathlessly as Namjoon put together sentences like: "It has been great. Everyone has great energy and work ethic." 

"Okay, lets see what you got." 

Jimin swallowed nervously and looked sideways to meet nervous eyes on all sides, from Tae and JK and Jin... but they were already getting in position, their dance already somewhat second nature to their bodies who had been whipped into the routine over and over this week. They performed somewhat flawlessly, Jimin thought to himself. It was hard to sing and dance a new song at the same time but they did well. They hit the last note, bodies held stiff in the final pose except for the gasping for breath. 

"Ah." Bang-Shi said... "It looks good but it is too sterile. You have to show how you love each other, this will make the fans love you more." 

He had them go through the dance step by step. At one part he had Jin send a flying kiss to the crowd. He had Jungkook flash his stomach to the crowd at one part...

"Alright, here, let's have JK and Hoseok stare into each other's eyes and sort of stroke each other's faces at this part." Jungkook got into position to try it but Hoseok did not. 

"Is that really necessary?" he asked. "What is the point of this?" something in his face was deeply uncomfortable. 

Bang PD turned around slowly, something unreadable in his face. "Of course it is necessary." his face softened. "Here boys, come sit"

"You understand that being an Idol is more than singing and dancing and writing music, right?" He looked into each boy's face. Jin nodded, JK looked confused but open, Hoseok looked concerned. "When you become an Idol, you leave behind the person you were and become a leader, become a figurehead. Part of being an Idol is being a sex symbol. And skinship is part of being an Idol and a sex symbol. The fans will be upset if you touch or kiss another fan, but they will love it when you touch and kiss each other." Some of the boys looked shocked at this idea while others seemed unsurprised. "During your performances you have to really love each other, and show it, that is what will draw your audience in." 

After he spoke with them, he had them go through the dance again, adding the boys grabbing each other's hands and smiling coyly at each other to the final routine. When he finally left, all the boys watched him leave and collapsed to the floor, drinking water. 

"Is everyone feeling okay?" Namjoon asked. 

Jimin glanced around the circle. Mostly the members seemed okay. It actually gave him a little thrill, those moments when he and JK were supposed to croon as they stared into each other's eyes and moved hair tendrils off each other's foreheads...he felt that warm prickle that he always tried to ignore. 

"Yes," was all he betrayed about his final feelings. 

"Well, I don't know," Hoseok said loudly, clearly upset. "I don't see why we have to degrade ourselves like this." He was agitated in a way Jimin had never seen. 

"Like Bang said, it's part of being an Idol...but we can work together and communicate, we wouldn't want you to do something that makes you truly uncomfortable." Namjoon said, comfortingly... 

"This ALL makes me uncomfortable," Hoseok said, but he made it clear that the conversation was over.