The Miraculous: Part II

Marinette was fine. There was no need to panic, she just had a few scrapes and bruises. The two sit on Adrien's bed, awaiting Nathalie to call them for dinner. Neither spoke. For once in their lives they didn't have anything to say to each other, and the most interesting part was they did not know why. To Marinette, the silence was deafening. "Adrien," Marinette says looking down to her lap. Adrien's head perked up, he didn't seem to have minded the silence. "I never did get to rub in the fact that this is your fault in the cave.. so," her goal was obvious, she wanted to lighten the mood. Adrien springs out of the bed. 

"Engaurd!" The blonde exclaims, a pen in hand. The bluenette grabs a ponytail holder from one of her pigtails. 

"Oh it's on!" She laughs. A knock at the door causes Marinette to fall forward, landing in Adrien's arms.  

"Adrien, Marinette..." it was Nathalie, her hair was sleeked back into a bun, a red streak highlighting the hints of blue in her hair. She was not phased by Marinette's clumsiness. "It is time for dinner you two." Marinette scrambles and messily puts her pigtail back into place. Nathalie motions toward the exit, holding the door for them as they pass. 

Dinner was fine as always. Just the two of them. As part of payment, to the Agreste Family, Marinette had to offer her designing services to Adrien's dad, Gabriel after dinner. She knocked once before hearing, "come in." His voice was firm and demanding. Marinette was used to this, the would have to push open the heavy door and then converse with him about todays style. When she manages the door opened, instead of Mr. Agreste's normal silence, he starts with, "I have some questions for you Marinette." The girl found Gabriel by the window, a chair placed by his. He motioned for her to sit. She walked over quickly, something she learned early on... never take too much time. Gabriel begins to speak as soon as she sits down. "As you know, the Force is getting stronger everyday and we need more soldiers out on the field, it would be awful of me to send my son out there... as the leader of it all." He pauses, watching Marinette closely. Her expression does not falter. "As a sergeant, you would be stationed here." He pauses again, waiting for something from Marinette. "I see great things in you." This wasn't as firm as it normally is. "My son sees a future with you." Marinette didn't hear him though. She had zoned out. Outside violence had flooded the streets. 

"I accept your offer Mr. Agreste." She says. Marinette wasn't thinking anything. Maybe she was still in shock? The girls face doesn't change even as he nods letting her know she is excused and she leaves, quicker than she entered. 

Adrien was asleep when Marinette went into his room to check on him. She was tired too. She closed the door quietly. Slipping off her shoes before walking any further into the room. She went to Adrien's side of the bed first, she pulled the covers over him and lifted his head to fluff the pillows. Her hand moves shakily to his forehead, rubbing it like a mother would. Then, like old times she took the spot next to him, falling asleep easily. 

"Marinette, it is your duty to protect Paris." The voice was female, unlike one she had heard before. "Marinette!" The girl shoots up, scanning the room. Nothing that isn't normal. She laid back down, attempting to force sleep on herself. Maybe she should go get her sketchbook now. She was awake after all. The girl ponders between the two options. She was less likely to get in trouble if it was the day, but she was more likely to get caught if they were all awake too. Having made her decision, the girl slides out of Adrien's bed, no one had noticed her exit. 

The cave looked no different. She pulled her phone out of her pocket. "Damn, it is almost out of battery." The girl says, looking down at the screen. With the light on her pale skin, she looks a lot younger. A child with less trauma. Her and Adrien's footprints line the sand into the cave. It was wet. She continues in, her phone flashlight illuminating the walls.

Her sketchbook was next to a podium in the same clearing she had arrived at earlier. She is careful with her steps. Even more careful when she reaches down for it. There wasn't any dust or dirt on it. Must've been luck. "Marinette!" It is the same voice from her dream. She straightens up and sure enough there sits a box. It is smooth and black. She lifts it, swiping the dust off of its top. She and Adrien are a lot alike. Both never hesitate. She pops it open. Inside sits a pair of earrings, red with black spots. "Marinette, you finally came!" Marinette jumps backwards, throwing the jewelry in the process.  

"Ah! Bug! Bug-mouse!" She exclaims. Fear obviously present in her eyes. 

"Marinette, it's okay..." the creature was calm. Marinette takes a deep breath. "Hi, I'm Tikki! I am your kwami. It is now your duty to fight the Force!" Marinette's eyes darken. Tikki knew this would happen, she just thought... Tikki didn't really know what she thought.  

"Fight the Force? No, no. I could never they killed my parents." Marinette was stepping away from the creature. Her hands forming an 'x' as they crossed, uncrossed, and crossed again. 

"I didn't want to do this Marinette." The red creature regrets as the blue haired girl lands with a thud. A boy with a red cap and a girl with an orange shirt carry her away. Tikki right behind.